Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Question regarding starter size
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bluelinebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 505
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Question regarding starter size

I've downloaded the Mr Malty app, and punched in my numbers for a starter. According to the app, my yeast is 44% viable. My OG is 1.058, so Mr. Malty says I need a 1L starter, and 2 packages of yeast (Wyeast Dennys Favorite). Well, I don't have 2 packages! Am I ok to go ahead and just make a 2L starter with 1 pack?

__________________
"I buried my loneliness in her for the night and left with new symptoms no antidepressant could cure." DKM


http://www.bluelinebrewer.com


Like my page on Facebook!
Bluelinebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,336
Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Default

Www.yeastcalc.com

Plug in your numbers, if you have a stir plate use k.troester selection.

This site will allow you to calculate a stepped up starter if necessary with only only one yeast pack
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,318
Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
I've downloaded the Mr Malty app, and punched in my numbers for a starter. According to the app, my yeast is 44% viable. My OG is 1.058, so Mr. Malty says I need a 1L starter, and 2 packages of yeast (Wyeast Dennys Favorite). Well, I don't have 2 packages! Am I ok to go ahead and just make a 2L starter with 1 pack?
There's a slider at the bottom of the app that you can use to decrease the number of packs used and increase the starter size. But I can tell you a couple things...never make a 1L starter. It's so small that it could be worse than nothing. Based on my experience with that yeast , I'd make a 2-3 L starter, depending on the age of the pack.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bluelinebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 505
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

There's a slider at the bottom of the app that you can use to decrease the number of packs used and increase the starter size. But I can tell you a couple things...never make a 1L starter. It's so small that it could be worse than nothing. Based on my experience with that yeast , I'd make a 2-3 L starter, depending on the age of the pack.
My guess would be that you're the leading expert on this yeast! thanks for the reply! I went ahead and made a 2L starter. The package date was 5/14. This is my first time with this yeast. Putting it in a Citra IPA. This is also my first starter... I've got some learning to do!!
__________________
"I buried my loneliness in her for the night and left with new symptoms no antidepressant could cure." DKM


http://www.bluelinebrewer.com


Like my page on Facebook!
Bluelinebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,318
Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
My guess would be that you're the leading expert on this yeast! thanks for the reply! I went ahead and made a 2L starter. The package date was 5/14. This is my first time with this yeast. Putting it in a Citra IPA. This is also my first starter... I've got some learning to do!!
Yeah, I've used it a few times!

Be sure to let the starter ferment out fully then refigerate and decant before pitching. Pitch cold, right out of the fridge. Don't let the yeast warm up before pitching.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bluelinebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 505
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post

Yeah, I've used it a few times!

Be sure to let the starter ferment out fully then refigerate and decant before pitching. Pitch cold, right out of the fridge. Don't let the yeast warm up before pitching.
Is 24 hrs gonna be long enough for it to ferment out? I was planning on brewing tomorrow night.
__________________
"I buried my loneliness in her for the night and left with new symptoms no antidepressant could cure." DKM


http://www.bluelinebrewer.com


Like my page on Facebook!
Bluelinebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,318
Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
Is 24 hrs gonna be long enough for it to ferment out? I was planning on brewing tomorrow night.
I'd give it at least 3 days to ferment and crash...longer if you're not using a stir plate. Remember, if the yeast isn't ready, you're no more ready to brew than if you didn't have malt or hops.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bluelinebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 505
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I knew I shoulda started it sooner! Hmmm... Well, I started it last night, so I guess I should let it go until tomorrow night, then crash it for a day. Think I'd be ok to go ahead and brew tomorrow, then pour it into my fermenter, let my wort set over night and pitch the next day? Seems I've heard of other people doing this.

__________________
"I buried my loneliness in her for the night and left with new symptoms no antidepressant could cure." DKM


http://www.bluelinebrewer.com


Like my page on Facebook!
Bluelinebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #9
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eugene OR
Posts: 4,318
Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
I knew I shoulda started it sooner! Hmmm... Well, I started it last night, so I guess I should let it go until tomorrow night, then crash it for a day. Think I'd be ok to go ahead and brew tomorrow, then pour it into my fermenter, let my wort set over night and pitch the next day? Seems I've heard of other people doing this.
If your sanitation is good, that will work fine.
__________________

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Denny is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bluelinebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 505
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Awesome! Thanks for the tips Denny! Just out if curiosity, why don't I want to warm the yeast prior to pitching?

__________________
"I buried my loneliness in her for the night and left with new symptoms no antidepressant could cure." DKM


http://www.bluelinebrewer.com


Like my page on Facebook!
Bluelinebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starter size question Nikeirons Fermentation & Yeast 9 09-15-2012 06:18 PM
yeast starter size question OHIOSTEVE Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-18-2011 08:07 PM
Yeast Starter Size question Boston85 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 09-10-2011 08:08 PM
starter size question surfnturf Fermentation & Yeast 5 06-04-2011 10:45 AM
Yeast starter size question? StarCityBrewMaster Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 01-08-2011 12:20 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS