Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > question regarding reusing yeast cake for similar brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
UnderThePorchBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default question regarding reusing yeast cake for similar brews

one of my favorite brews is a pale english mild from zymurgy a couple of years ago. I want to do this again with trying a liquid witbread yeast (I had used s-04 the first time) but afterwards I was wondering if I could reuse the yeast cake for a similar abv but dark english mild. are there any concerns I need to know before hand. Both will be AG recipes and approx 3.2 to 3.5 abv. I have only reused a yeast cake twice in the 2.5 years of brewing and that was brewing a mid ABV to create the starter for John's Red Barleywine (which I think will be a yearly tradition for me) as always any info or response is much appreciated. TIA
Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

You'll be grossly overpitching but IMHO that's better than underpitching! You may just want to use MrMalty.com and repitch some of the leftover slurry, then wash and save the rest.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I thought about washing the yeast. I have done it only once before for a cream ale yeast blend back in the spring so was not sure if I wanted to do it again or if I could get a good result from just pitching the second darker mild onto a yeast cake for a pale mild. from what I have seen here it is recommended a higher OG onto a lower OG cake. will check out the Mr Malty calculation for the slurry. thanks

Quick Reply