The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > A Question about yeast and fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
usmcryguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A Question about yeast and fermentation

I am brewing a christmas ale. I put my dry yeast into a sanitized tuper ware with an energizer about 4 hours prior to the brew. After aerating the wort and adding the yeast, fermentation seemed to take off very quickly (around 1 hour). 48 hours passed. Now, there are only residual bubbles in the airlock, no large bubbles pushing through the airlock. Do I have a problem?

Thank you so much for the help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nope, sounds like the bulk of fermentation is already complete. Leave it for a few more weeks and you're golden

Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
usmcryguy
Recipes 

Should I do a secondary fermentation in a glass carboy after a week in primary? If so, should I bring the temp down? All my recipe says is "storage at 52 degrees for 28 days"

Old 11-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a had a lot of vigorous fermentations that ended in a day or two. It sounds like you did a good job aerating which will really help the fermentation take off quickly.

Good luck! I hope it turns out great for you!

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcryguy View Post
Should I do a secondary fermentation in a glass carboy after a week in primary? If so, should I bring the temp down? All my recipe says is "storage at 52 degrees for 28 days"
No, that is waaay too short of time in a primary. just leave it in the primary for 4 weeks, secondary isn't needed

Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
usmcryguy
Recipes 

Last question I promise. NO secondary fermentation? Just bottle after a month and put in the fridge for a week or two?

Thanks a million

Old 11-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

A lot of people here believe that secondaries are not needed. A large driver for secondaries is yeast autolysis which is closer to myth than reality. Unless you are aging for long periods (months), a secondary is not needed, and if your primary is glass, even then its not really needed at all.

Do not put your beer in the fridge right after bottling, you will not get any carbonation. the recommended minimum is 3 weeks at room temp to allow proper and full carbonation, then at least 24 hours in the fridge to properly dissolve the CO2 into the beer.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
usmcryguy
Recipes 

Thank you for your time and help it is much appreciated!

Quick Reply