*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Question about Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Mohanbrau
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Question about Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale yeast

I brewed NB's The Innkeeper with Wyeast 1469 last Tuesday. 5 gal batch, all-grain mash at 153F, 1 qt starter. Fermentation took off like a shot, and itquickly developed a thick, rocky kraeusen on top. I started it a 72-74F for 24 hours, then moved it to the basement at 67F.

Almost a week later, the thick kraeusen is still there, although bubbling in the airlock has slowed to a crawl. Shouldn't the foam have fallen back into the beer when fermentation slowed down? I've never used 1469 before, and never had a kraeusen head persist beyond the initial vigorous fermentation stage with any other yeast.

Is this normal for 1469? Could it be the result of an infection? Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It's normal for 1469 to do this. The krausen takes a very long time to fall; that's if it does at all. I've had mine in primary for three weeks sometimes and there is still krausen when I keg it.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanbrau View Post
I brewed NB's The Innkeeper with Wyeast 1469 last Tuesday. 5 gal batch, all-grain mash at 153F, 1 qt starter. Fermentation took off like a shot, and itquickly developed a thick, rocky kraeusen on top. I started it a 72-74F for 24 hours, then moved it to the basement at 67F.

Almost a week later, the thick kraeusen is still there, although bubbling in the airlock has slowed to a crawl. Shouldn't the foam have fallen back into the beer when fermentation slowed down? I've never used 1469 before, and never had a kraeusen head persist beyond the initial vigorous fermentation stage with any other yeast.

Is this normal for 1469? Could it be the result of an infection? Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
I did Bobs Pride of Raubsville with this yeast for the first time, and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. It's literally as if the krausen, and I mean the whole damn krausen, is REFUSING to drop out. I plan on racking into a keg and force carbing inside of a week or more regardless of what the krausen does... Odd odd yeast, that I hope tastes great.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
FarmerTed

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Jamil used that yeast on the cybi episode for Black Sheep. He said it was crazy. It shot golf-ball sized blobs of yeast out of his airlock.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
kaboom505
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTed View Post
Jamil used that yeast on the cybi episode for Black Sheep. He said it was crazy. It shot golf-ball sized blobs of yeast out of his airlock.
Doing the Innkeeper kit from NB. The blowoff at 64F was like a crime scene. Not like a scummy wash - serious handfulls of full density yeast goo. Crazy and a little bit scary!

10 days later at a 64F pitch for 2 days then 1F/d ramp to 70F and there's still lots of stuff at the surface. A pretty low gravity beer so it's done by now but I'm still waiting...

Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Mohanbrau

Recipes 

I neglected to mention that it was a 5 gal batch in a 6 gal carboy, so there was plenty of headspace for the kraeusen. Nothing went up the blowoff tube, I had no mess at all.

And the kraeusen did eventually fall, around a week ago. It's been in the primary for 2 weeks now, and I'm bottling today. At this point, it looks like everything turned out fine. The samples I've taken for FG have tasted great. Thanks for the hand-holding.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Tomsamba
Recipes 

Same experience for me, I had 10 lbs of Golden promise and decided to use 1469... made a small starter, pitched on Saturday afternoon and 8 hours after ptiching ..KABLOOEY! gobs and gobs of gobs and gobs...plugged a 1/2" blowoff line twice and blew the stopper out... today it has slowed enough for me to put in an airlock...used this yeast many times (7-8) but this time was dramatic..I really whacked it with oxygen so I am guessing that was the reason.... but I'll rack this weekend and check the gravity...

Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

This yeast has to be hands down my favorite British yeast. I've made the Shakespeare Stout Clone, 2 innkeepers and a summer bitter with it. Just a terrific stone fruit apricot thing and great malt character - but yeah it kicks off some serious krausen that sticks around forever.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 447

I really like the flavors this yeast gives to the beers I've used it on. I think I used it on a dark mild and a porter. And I'm planning on brewing up that Innkeeper from NB in the next couple weeks. But I don't remember the krausen lasting especially long. Maybe I was just distracted by drinking other homebrews to notice how long it lasted.

Also, (kinda ) if you think that one lasts a long time, you should try the 2565 Kolsch yeast. That krausen holds up forever. I did one batch that still had a full 2 inch krausen at the 2 week mark, when I transferred it to secondary. I have another batch from the yeast I washed from that first batch. I don't have another carboy to transfer into, so this one will be sitting in primary with the krausen for even longer.

Bottled - The Land of Pils and Honey, an imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I'm fermenting a 1.039 dark mild with 1469, and temperatures have gotten away from me. For 24 hours after pitching, I kept it at 64-66 F. 30 hours after pitching I woke up to find it at 71 F. I took the carboy out of its "cool brewing" fermentation chamber to top-crop some yeast, and the day went haywire and I wasn't able to get it back in the ferm. chamber. Unfortunately the ambient temp also got hot, and when I went to bed, about 48 hours after pitching, the beer temp was 76. Fermentation was starting to slow.

Any predictions about the flavor of this mild? Too much fruit or fusel alcohols? I hope that the fact that I was conservative for the first day will help me.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply