Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Question about Wyeast 1028

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Question about Wyeast 1028

I just brewed up the Bee Cave Robust Porter recipe the day after Thanksgiving. Pitched a 2L starter of Wyeast 1028 London Ale--first time I've used this strain. Got some moderate bubbling activity after about 10 hours, but then it shut down cold after less than 48 hours--no bubbling, no Krausen. Conditions did get cold in the cellar--down to about 62F. I also have some Nierra Sevada that has been happily bubbling away (using 1056-no starter, had to install a blowoff) for over a week in the same conditions.

It's obviously way too early to panic/start thinking stuck fermentation and to start fiddling with the batch. I pulled it out to warm it up to 68 or so and gave the fermenter a bit of a shake to rouse the little dudes. I will wait at least a week to take a hydrometer reading.

My question is: is this restrained fermentation characteristic of 1028? Thanks for your input!

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wyeast site says the temp range for 1028 is 60* - 72*, with an 11% ABV tolerance. Your 2L starter was a good size. What was the wort temp when you pitched ? I have run into some strains that like the higher end of the temp range, rather than the lower end. You might want to move it to a warmer spot and get it around the 70* mark.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I pitched at 70 and got decent action within 10-12 hours. I have moved it out and it's sitting at 70 right now, but no visible fermentation.

I'll give it a week and then take a hydrometer test. I've got a vial of White Labs British sitting around as well as a pack of Notty--if necessary, I'll throw one of those in.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quick update--after about 6 hours at 70, visible fermentation resumed, lasting about a day.

Just tested a few minutes ago: 1.016! Right where it needs to be. Now I'll just let it sit for a week to clean up. Sample tasted incredible, I recommend this recipe for you Porter lovers.

Quick Reply