Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Question about pride of London clone: 1968 temps & D-rest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Smellyglove
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Question about pride of London clone: 1968 temps & D-rest

I'll be brewing a pride of London clone this weekend and from what I read in a BYO article about this beer is that they pitch at 17C, raise to 20C for main fermentation and back to 17 again.

First. Will this mean they raise it until FG is reached? Or just during the initial stormy parts of fermentation?

Second: I'll be using wy1968 for this. It says that a D-rest is needed for this yeast. If the 20C temperature is to be held until FG is reached, will I still need to do a D-rest at even higher temps after FG is reached?

If I'm supposed to turn the temperature back down when I see krausen is on its way back I guess I still have some more points left, or is this wrong, will the 1968 eat everything at once? If I still have some points left when going back to 17C, I guess it will be a small roller coaster in temperature if I'm supposed to do the D-rest also when I'm having a few points left.

How would you do it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Not sure why they recommend a d-rest. I use 1968 a lot. I start fermentation at 65F and hokd until it skows and then allow it to rise to 68-69 until it finishes, give it another week to clear and package. 1968 is highly flocculant and the rise in temp keeps it busy until it's done. Its a great yeast and produces a super clear beer

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
BigFloyd Likes This 
Old 04-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #3
Smellyglove
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Not sure why they recommend a d-rest. I use 1968 a lot. I start fermentation at 65F and hokd until it skows and then allow it to rise to 68-69 until it finishes, give it another week to clear and package. 1968 is highly flocculant and the rise in temp keeps it busy until it's done. Its a great yeast and produces a super clear beer
It's actually wyeast themselves that recommend it. The other option was wlp002, which has half of the diacetyl production of the 1968. But I want to try the 1968 since I've never used it before.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyglove View Post
It's actually wyeast themselves that recommend it. The other option was wlp002, which has half of the diacetyl production of the 1968. But I want to try the 1968 since I've never used it before.

I can tell you that fermenting as I described has never produced diacetyl in any of my batches

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

duboman is describing the correct temp profile for 1968/002 to keep it from dropping out too early. If it does, it's very hard to rouse back up again. I let it finish up in that 68-69*F range (sort of a d-rest I suppose) then cold crash the primary into the mid-30's for 5-7 days.

Since WY1968ESB and WLP002 are the same strain, I question how one could produce just half the diacetyl vs. the other.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I wouldn't drop it back down to 17. You're likely to loose the momentum of the yeast. This strain is a hard flocculator, especially on the first pitch. I would agree with above... Start at 17 slowly raise it to 20. Just make sure you give it a day or two after it drops, and you shouldn't have any diacetyl issues.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Salpino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
I wouldn't drop it back down to 17. You're likely to loose the momentum of the yeast. This strain is a hard flocculator, especially on the first pitch. I would agree with above... Start at 17 slowly raise it to 20. Just make sure you give it a day or two after it drops, and you shouldn't have any diacetyl issues.

This. With the ramp to 20c you won't need to follow with a d-rest. As mentioned, 1968 is incredibly flocculant--a very cool strain.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

i agree with above, but i have had diacetyl issues with this yeast. in my experience, if it quits early, you're in butterville. a steady rise like 17-20 keeps the yeast happy and the brewer happy. 20 essentially acts as the d-rest. with this temp regime i can go grain to glass, with great clarity, in 12 days easily.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Smellyglove
Recipes 

Alright. Thanks for all your input. I'll go with a more classic fermentation then.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 23

1968 has been my house strain for years now. I usually start at 17, wait until the fermentation has almost stopped, and then slowly raise the temp to 20 or 21, and wait another week or so. It is normal for me to leave the beer in the primary for a month or longer, depending on my schedule. I never have "butter" problems anymore by being patient. I always have clear, "clean" beers by not being in a hurry, like I was when I was first starting out as a new brewer. For some reason, I decided to re-read the Wyeast smack pack info, and now feel somewhat confused...
The site mentions pitching into a 65-72 F wort, wait for obvious signs of fermentation, foam, bubbling airlock, etc., and then adjust to desired fermentation temperature. This makes me wonder, should I start every batch at 65-70, and as soon as I see fermentation, roll the temperature back? I believe we are only referring to 1 or 2 days, what to all of you think about this method?

Aging from last year: Hard Cider, Triple Chocolate Stout, American Amber II
First fermenter: American Mild
Second fermenter: Empty
Long term aging: Strong Scottish Ale, American Stout
3 new hard ciders, first is a Apple Raspberry, second will be a Apple Grape, and third Apple Cranberry. These will all become Jacked Ciders

Quick Reply