Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Question about Krausen and Belgian Wit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
voodoocurt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about Krausen and Belgian Wit

Hey Guys,

Quick question, going on two weeks in primary with a Belgian Wit, very little to no bubbling in the airlock, buuut I have about a 1" thick Krausen on top. Usually I never rack to secondary until the Krausen falls...my question is this?

1. Is this common with wheat beers?
2. As long as my gravity readings are correct per the instructions should I go ahead and rack to 2nd?
3. Stir it back in and wait?
4. Quit being an antsy pantsy let the damn yeast do it's thing and relax and have a homebrew?
5. Thanks.......

Voodoo

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Bonch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocurt View Post
Hey Guys,

Quick question, going on two weeks in primary with a Belgian Wit, very little to no bubbling in the airlock, buuut I have about a 1" thick Krausen on top. Usually I never rack to secondary until the Krausen falls...my question is this?

1. Is this common with wheat beers?
Very common

2. As long as my gravity readings are correct per the instructions should I go ahead and rack to 2nd?
You can or you can wait

3. Stir it back in and wait?
You can or you can leave it alone. I normally rock mine just a little and some will settle faster.

4. Quit being an antsy pantsy let the damn yeast do it's thing and relax and have a homebrew?
Yes Pansy

5. Thanks.......
You are welcome

Voodoo
The fact is each yeast does things differently. The Wit seems to be a much lighter floculation and tends to float for a much longer time. It will eventually settle but may take a while. I have also noticed that if you used coriander seed, some of them float and give the krausen a place to adhere to and float thus impeding the settling.

If you are in a big hurry and it has hit it terminal gravity, you can actually rack off the liquid between the yeast slurry and the krausen. But for me, I would just wait and shorten the secondary time a week if you plan on doing a secondary.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome thanks Bonch.....good to know.

V

Quick Reply