Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Question about dry yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
pollykraker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by res291que View Post
No need to rehydrate in my experience ...
When is it neccessary to rehydrate ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
pollykraker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks everyone. Sorry if this thread is about something that has been asked hundreds times before... Just a complete N00b and dont have a full grasp on the yeast process.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #13
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Just want to chime in here and advocate FOR rehydrating your yeast. If you don't, you're killing off half your available cells. Will you make beer without rehydrating? Yes, but it won't be as good as it could be.

Rehydrate per package instructions, 95-105F pre-boiled water only. No sugar or dme or wort or anything.

Also: control your fermentation temperature tightly (beer temp, not ambient temp, needs to be mid 60's F).

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
Pilotpip
Recipes 

I have pitched US-05 straight in, and I've rehydrated. I prefer to rehydrate. The lag time of direct pitch is much higher for me and with my limited time at home I'd rather be around to make sure I'm home to attach a blowoff if needed.

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer at all.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
pollykraker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin
Just want to chime in here and advocate FOR rehydrating your yeast. If you don't, you're killing off half your available cells. Will you make beer without rehydrating? Yes, but it won't be as good as it could be.

Rehydrate per package instructions, 95-105F pre-boiled water only. No sugar or dme or wort or anything.

Also: control your fermentation temperature tightly (beer temp, not ambient temp, needs to be mid 60's F).
Cool.. awesome input. Basically for good habit as a new brewer I should prob just do this no matter what

Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollykraker

Cool.. awesome input. Basically for good habit as a new brewer I should prob just do this no matter what
Agreed. Plus, the warmer you ferment, the more likely you are to get esters (fruity or other flavor compounds) that generally you don't want in your beer. I strongly second the call to ferment mid- to upper 60s.

The two most important things for GREAT beer are yeast health (rehydration in this case) and temp control during fermentation.

Cheers!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollykraker View Post
Thank you very much. Trying to get as many questions I have answered to prep... And yeast is one area was little lost on...

In regards to pitching of the yeast, does the wort temp need to be at the 65-68 temp as well or would 70 be fine to pitch ???

And it is recommended to hydrate the yeast before pitching ? Using forum on my smart phone so unable to use search info for this question... I'm sure is asked all the time
In a perfect world you should try to pitch the yeast slightly colder than the desired fermentation temperature to allow for a healthy controlled growth phase and allow the yeast to ramp up to temperature. If this cannot be done then a s close to fermentation temperature is best practice.

While starters are not required for dry yeast it is best practice to properly rehydrate prior to pitching and for 05 the ideal fermentation temperature is in the 65-68 F range

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply