Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Question about amount of yeast from wash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Neilyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Question about amount of yeast from wash

Hey there.
I typically brew 10 gal all-grain batches. I grab new yeast, throw together a starter and brew. I will then wash once grabbing 4 mason jars of washed yeast. I will then brew using each of the jars once (not washing the washed yeast for yet another use). So my new yeast usually gets me 5 batches of beer.

I had a question about the amount of yeast I recently pulled from a wash. I just got done brewing sierra nevada's ruthless rye (from byo mag) using safale s-05. I brewed on Dec 9th and washed on the 28th. I also have a fermentation chamber that maintains a constant temp (60f in this case).

I noticed the yeast cake was a bit larger than normal (nothing too crazy just a bit thicker than normal). I did my wash and noticed that I had a nice amount of the middle layer (the good stuff) as it was settling. I dumped off my wash into my mason jars threw them in the fridge and went to bed. When I woke up this is what I had.

I am used to seeing about a half inch layer of yeast at the bottom of the jar but nothing like what I pulled from this washing.

I guess all I am asking is have I done something wrong or should I be worried about the amount of yeast that was collected for any reason?

I have all the trub and a good amount of yeast still in my gallon jug (what was leftover from the wash), as you know when you throw in 4 full mason jars of water you end up with enough to fill about 6-7 jars. So what I have in these jars appears to be all good yeast ready to eat away at another batch. Just much more than I am used to seeing..

With this amount of yeast would I be better off skipping a starter (just letting the jar warm up to room temp shake and pitch)? or still throw together a starter like normal.

I am still learning as I go (only done about 15, 10gal all-grain batches so far). I have yet to have any issues with pitching washed yeast. Every batch has been pretty darn good so far.

take care,
Neil

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

My pint jars look alot like yours. If you get less other times, then that's probably because it is non-flocculant yeast that hasn't settled.

I generally use the "slurry" calculator on mrmalty.com, and go by the milliliters of yeast I have.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Wow, thats a crazy amount of yeast!! I believe the rule of thumb is something like if you brew again within a few weeks of washing, just warm it up and pitch it. If the yeast has sat in the fridge for longer than a few weeks, make a starter to wake it up. In your case, the starter is not really needed to bump the cell count, thats for sure LOL

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Neilyboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the reply guys! And Yooper thanks for the great pale ale recipe (one of my favorites)!! I am learning as I go. I was just really surprised at how much yeast was there when I pulled them out of the fridge haha..

Neil

Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

I generally use the "slurry" calculator on mrmalty.com, and go by the milliliters of yeast I have.
Hi Yooper
Do you have any recommendation on where to set the 2 sliders on the slurry tab for washed yeast?

Quick Reply