Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Putting an IPA onto the yeast cake from a Guinness clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Walter Sobchak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Putting an IPA onto the yeast cake from a Guinness clone?

So, I have this Guinness clone that I'm about to rack into a secondary fermenter, and I was thinking about using the yeast cake from that batch for an IPA. Any thoughts about how this might work out? This is the first time I have considered re-using yeast, so I don't know much about it. The yeast from the Guinness clone was Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
Retroviridae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hi. You might get too much color and roasty flavor from the stout transferred to your IPA, unless you wash your yeast. Washing yeast is easy as long as you pay careful attention to sanitation. Search for yeast washing tutorial threads.

Random Fact: Human Immunodeficiency Virus particles have approximately the same density of 1.170 wort. I know because I float them on a sucrose gradient in the lab to purify them for research.

Primary: nada

Drinking: Belgian strong golden, Northern Brown, Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply