The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pure yeast, no additives?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
notoxChris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pure yeast, no additives?

Does anyone know of any yeast brands that do NOT have additives like sorbitan monostearate? Just pure yeast with no additives or preservatives? Every dry yeast I've seen has sorbitan MS; I'm not sure whether liquid yeasts typically have this or other additives. I guess I'm old fashioned--don't want no chemical stuff. Thanks for any info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't think liquid yeast has it. Neither apparently dies Red Star yeast. Not the right yeast for beer, but you could try it.

http://guide.livecornfree.com/red-st...-yeast-packets

Old 12-08-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
notoxChris
Recipes 

Thanks McG! I'm experimenting with Red Star now, but hope to get more info on real beer (or wine) yeasts without additives

Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoxChris View Post
Thanks McG! I'm experimenting with Red Star now, but hope to get more info on real beer (or wine) yeasts without additives
Red star makes the worst bread I have ever made. Bought some in bulk and now just boil it as yeast nutrient for my beers. I can't imagine any fermented beverage it produced would be anything approaching drinkable.

What's your concern with stearates? They're just about the most common emulsifiers anywhere (you've probably had some today), have no flavor, and are perfectly safe. Various stearic acids are produced naturally in fats and waxes. Plus, the amounts used in a packet of dry yeast are somewhere in the thousandths of grams.

Anyway, liquid yeasts are your best bet, plus there's a huge selection of styles. Or you could use a dry yeast once and then start harvesting it.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
notoxChris
Recipes 

Daksin, yes, initial results with Red star are horrible! As for stearates, want natural beer, as Reinheitsgebot as possible.

Would try "harvesting" if I knew how; will probably go with liquid yeasts.

Thanks for input

Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
notoxChris
Recipes 

Default follow up

Red Star Active Dry yeast (bread yeast) produced an absolutely undrinkable cider! But I like experimenting, so no harm done--only wasted about 16 oz. of apple juice. (Who knows if this stuff might make a more palatable beer, but I think I'll leave it to someone else to try!)

Otherwise, I've brewed 2 batches of cider with yeast harvested from previous batches, after an initial batch with Red Star "Cote des Blancs" dry yeast. Stearates certainly negligible by now, plus it's definitely more fun and cost effective to harvest. Also harvested Safale Ale Yeast for 1 subsequent batch. Good results so far harvesting both yeasts.

For info, White Labs replied to my inquiry about the stearates. They assured me they use "no additives or preservatives" in their yeasts.

Last edited by notoxChris; 01-04-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply