New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pumpkin ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
benpen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pumpkin ale

I brewed my pumpkin ale yesterday and as I finished up I realized I did not have an airlock. Not sure where I misplaced it but that's not the issue. Instead I pushed a piece of clear tubing through the hole in the lid of my fermenting bucket that I would normally put the air lock and placed the other end in a jug of water. The kit called for sg of 1.044 - 1.046. I did not take a reading yesterday but this morning it was 1.050. There is no krausen yet either. How often should I check the gravity and when should I start seeing krausen?

Thanks

Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Krausen depends on how you handled your yeast, usually 12-48 hours, but sometimes there can be a longer lag time. I would wait until you see the krausen comes and goes, then wait another week and then check the gravity a few days apart and if it has dropped and holds steady, it is good to package. Given the lack of an airlock, your tubing into water is perfect, usually called a blowoff.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Leithoa
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Krausen depends on how you handled your yeast, usually 12-48 hours, but sometimes there can be a longer lag time.
-- Kaz
+1
If by day 3 you still don't see any signs of fermentation then I'd probably repitch with the same yeast. Sometimes krausen doesn't form well or it falls before you get a chance to see it.
As far as starting gravity was this an extract or all-grain kit? If you're a quart of liquid short or got a higher extract efficiency than the recipe accounted for that would explain the higher gravity. The only 'downside' is you get buzzed faster.

Unless you're on a tight schedule there's no need to check gravity until you're ready to bottle. The kit probably gave a time table but 7-14 days is pretty average for low-moderate gravity beers.
Quote:
check the gravity a few days apart and if it has dropped and holds steady, it is good to package.
Like Kaz said you just want to make sure fermentation is complete so you don't get gushers or bottle bombs when you bottle.

1°: Graham's English Cider, Cider ; Conditioning: Blackberry Melomel, Banana wine, Cider, Orange/Clover blossom mead, Cyser, JAOM, In like a Lion RIS ; Drinking: Cider, Vanilla Porter, Blackberry Melomel, In like a Lion RIS

Quick Reply