Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pulque/Octli brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
julioohara
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Pulque/Octli brew

Hi everyone at Homebrew talk, I'm new to this chat forum and I am eager to learn as much as possible I have read in part of aforum posted here about an aztec drink called pulque. The recipe came out a sometime ago in a issue of BYO, and curiosity got the best of me since I remember trying this drink a long time ago and I liked it very much. The recipe calls for: 8lbs of Agave syrup, and Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) yeast for a 5 gallon batch, but I narrowed it down for a 2 gallon. However because I only had a Wyeast Belgium Abbey II strain I used that instead hoping of achieveing a partially sour brew like the traditional pulque. It's been 2 days in the incubator @ 69F, and I have not seen a Krausen... My question is, is a krausen necessary to demonstrate healthy yeast activity, or can a fermentation still take place in its absence? I have no airlock since it's a small fermentor that I got from Mr. Beer, so what would all of you suggest?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
JordanC
Recipes 

There will not be any krausen from the agave.

I have never used an ale yeast to make pulque, only wine yeasts, and there has never been a strong sign of fermentation. All I notice is a small fizzle of bubbles on the surface edges (and I have an airlock that goes tic tic). The fermentation is not aggressive and it takes about two months before my gravity drops from 1.078 to 1.010

If I were you I would be patient and check the gravity after a few weeks. I use wine yeast and let mine sit for months and months.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
julioohara
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've seen wine yeast on a local hombrew shop, I will try that next time as well :-) by the way have you ever tried to brew pulque with a lambic blend? I believe it has 2 strains of yeast, a lactic acid producing bacterium and something else that is supposed to kinda give it an authentic taste... Would like to know how that turned out if you've tried it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanC View Post
There will not be any krausen from the agave.

I have never used an ale yeast to make pulque, only wine yeasts, and there has never been a strong sign of fermentation. All I notice is a small fizzle of bubbles on the surface edges (and I have an airlock that goes tic tic). The fermentation is not aggressive and it takes about two months before my gravity drops from 1.078 to 1.010

If I were you I would be patient and check the gravity after a few weeks. I use wine yeast and let mine sit for months and months.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
julioohara
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One more thing Did you rack to a secondary fermentor? If so, at what week did you do so? Or did you leave the pulque in the yeast for those 2 months Thanks, I appreciate the help!!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I left it in primary for about 5 weeks. Then kegged. I preferred it lightly carbed. It was good with a few drops of lime juice too.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
Nokitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So how's it coming along? I'm considering doing exactly this.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Does it turn out white like traditional pulque? According to wiki, pulque is fermented by bacteria, not yeast.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
julioohara
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Still sweet, but it's still fermenting as I see CO2 still present, gonna give it 2-3 more weeks and then I'll take a gravity reading; tastes like sweet fermented pear (just to give u an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokitchen View Post
So how's it coming along? I'm considering doing exactly this.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
julioohara
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Apparently not this one, the agave nectar I bought was amber color, so it turned out with a pale-amber color (SRM in between 1 and 2, it's around that ballpark) the original pulque is made from the sap of the maguey plant, which has a milky white color to it and yes it is open fermented I live across the border and I found a place where they sell the actual aguamiel of the maguey plant, im gonna try that next instead of the store syrup and I'm going to replace the ale yeast with a Wyeast Lambic blend instead to stay on a closer traditional style cheers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
Does it turn out white like traditional pulque? According to wiki, pulque is fermented by bacteria, not yeast.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

Mine was milky white. I used Madhava light nectar.

Quick Reply