Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is PSI During Bottle Conditioning Non-linear?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
TAK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Is PSI During Bottle Conditioning Non-linear?

Without any (significant) temperature change, does PSI peak at some point before dissolving into solution, i.e. non-linear. Or, is PSI at it's max before cold conditioning, i.e. linear?

I'm just curios, if you're carbing at a high volume of CO2, do you "pass" a high risk bottle bomb phase at some point during carb conditioning? If PSI pressure is non-linear as a function of time, then if you crate them up in tupperware, they either explode, or they don't and you're safe. If its linear on the other hand, then if they don't explode on thier own, the highest risk time is when your agitating them while you're moving to the fridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

No, it's not linear. Generally speaking, your beer will produce gas faster than it can dissolve it back in. In other words, you'll hit a peak PSI significantly above equilibrium at some point before priming is finished.

That peak pressure isn't necessarily the point of highest risk for bottle bombs, though. If you measure properly and mix your priming solution well, the more likely cause of a bottle bomb is infection. In that case, the pressure will built gradually over time.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the reply. The reason I posted the question wasn't out of a general concern for bottle bombs. Rather, I'm curios if I push towards the upper limits of the volumes of CO2 that my bottles can handle, can I prepare for the possibility of bombs and feel safe picking them up after 3 weeks knowing I've passed a threshold.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I'd give it extra time, as that extra pressure and dissolved CO2 will stress the yeast a bit so it may take more than 20% longer to carb 3 volumes vs 2.5. Also, any time I'm bottling at a higher volume, I like to keep the case of bottles in a plastic garbage bag in case of any weak bottles. I've never had one go at 3 volumes, but you never know. Higher than that and I'd want to use Belgian bottles, or at the very least those nice thick glass stubbies like Green Flash uses.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply