Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Proper ways to use Brett?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
djbradle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Proper ways to use Brett?

I plan on brewing a Belgian strong pale ale soon enough and wonder how to use Brett effectively to procure the acidity and funk similiar to that of "Matilda". I know they use Brett in secondary fermentation and will do the same. Should I add some Pediococcus along with the Brett or just the Brett alone? I am trying to clone it somewhat but not exactly . . more along the line of Orval but with Brett. Awesome stuff that Matilda.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't know if this will help your question, but I made a Belgian Triple last year and decided to add Brett to half of the 10g I made. I pitched a vial of WLP 3112 (which is the lighter flavored strain of the 3, I believe) directly into the secondary and let it age for 3 months. I didn't have any noticeable flavor change, but the gravity did drop a slight bit. I probably should have let it age longer and/or made a starter w/ the Brett.

Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
djbradle
Recipes 

Hmmmmmm. Maybe your temp was too low? No more fermentables? But you did say the gravity dropped a bit more.I think a simple sugar solution should go in with the Brett for it to have something to chew, no? I'm gonna use this in conjunction with Wyeast 1214. Matilda simply uses it in secondary fermentation per the bottle labeling. I had a bomber the other night with a date of 1/29/10. . . . Sooooooo good!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No need for a starter. You get more traditional "brett" flavor when it's stressed (such as when underpitching).

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts

Brett produces very little acidity. It does, however, do interesting things with the acids produced by lacto and pedio. Even without acid, brett will slowly chew through nearly every sugar that sacch leaves behind, which will give the impression of greater acidity; think instant kool-aid if you forgot to add the sugar. If you want Orval, you don't need acid/bacteria, just the bottle dregs.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Obligatory download link for Chad Yakobson's Brettanomyces Project PDF

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2540232/6-16...ttanomyces.pdf

Enjoy.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Oh and if you REALLY wanna go deep, check out his dissertation. It addresses pitching rates and well pretty much everything...

http://www.brettanomycesproject.com/dissertation/

Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
djbradle
Recipes 

Bravo my good man! That was an awesome read and gave me great info! That first pdf was good enough but I may dive in deeper . . . . Very excited!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
djbradle
Recipes 

Got any good recipes like a Matilda or a similar pale ale with some of the cara malts described? I know you do.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pitching straight Brett after primary fermentation with a normal ale yeast isn't going to give you a lot of Brett character, according to Oldsock/Mike T on these boards (he's a Sour Guru to the extreme - madfermentationist.com). I'd add a mix of bugs and some other sugar that isn't fermentable by normal Sach yeasts, like Malto Dextrin. Brett also likes to chew on wood cellulose like in oak chips. Pitch the Brett & Bugs along with the normal ale yeast for the most bang for your buck.

Also Orval has Brett in it, along with other stuff (I think). Orval bottles are a great source of bugs if you live in an area that doesn't get a lot of other live sour culture beer.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Quick Reply