Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Proof that yeast washing and starters are good things!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Proof that yeast washing and starters are good things!

I suppose it was just a matter of time...

I keep my fermenters in the storage room in the basement...cool and dark. A couple of hours ago, my downstairs neighbor comes up and tells me that my beer exploded! (apparently they were startled by the noise when the lid popped) I go running down, and sure enough, the lid is sitting at a 45 degree angle and krausen everywhere! Here it is once it was moved and a blow-off installed.

On the bright side, I guess this means that our washing process and starters are working!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
NAUGHTYDOGBREWING
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i recently started doing starters and my last one i stepped up a few times before pitching into a CDA. This was the fist time i have ever had to use a blow off tube. It was making a pretty good mess but had not exploded yet. Glad i caught it in time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply