New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
rapike1028
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Problem?

So wort has been in the prim for two day fermenting nicely but i noticed the gasket on the air lock had been pushed down a bit. i assume from when i put it on. So i try to fix it but end up knocking the damn thing in the wort. I then pull the lid off to see if it was floating on top and couldnt find it. I ended up racking to a carboy. My question is- is racking 48hrs in going to harm anything and how should i proceed from here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapike1028 View Post
So wort has been in the prim for two day fermenting nicely but i noticed the gasket on the air lock had been pushed down a bit. i assume from when i put it on. So i try to fix it but end up knocking the damn thing in the wort. I then pull the lid off to see if it was floating on top and couldnt find it. I ended up racking to a carboy. My question is- is racking 48hrs in going to harm anything and how should i proceed from here?
Believe it or not, that was MY first post on this forum! I ended up duct taping the airlock in place and leaving it alone. And then asking for help here. And the answer was to just leave it alone.

Since you racked, it's too late to tell you to not do anything, but you'll be fine anyway. The only point of the gasket and airlock is to prevent wild yeast and bacteria from getting in while the co2 can get out. As long as the lid (and hence the grommet) were sanitized, it's not a big deal if it falls in.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
rapike1028
Recipes 

when i woke up this morning everything seemed fine in the carboy. Just wondered what to do know as far as secondary or just leave it till its ready?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapike1028 View Post
when i woke up this morning everything seemed fine in the carboy. Just wondered what to do know as far as secondary or just leave it till its ready?
Just leave it sit for about three weeks and then bottle if it's clearing and the FG has been stable.

Quick Reply