Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Probably a dumb question....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Probably a dumb question....

I recently brewed an Oktoberfest, 7-26-09. I used Wyeast California Lager yeast. At the time I brewed it, I didn't have a lager setup, but when my A/C is running, my basement stays at a consistant 65 degrees. To me, this was pushing it, even though this yeast is good up to 68.

The first few days it was at around 72 until I turned the air on. Since then it's been constant. The airlock stopped bubbling about a week ago ( I know...don't trust it). I haven't opened it up because I'm almost positive it shouldn't be done yet.

Anyone have experience with this yeast strain? Is it a fast finisher because of the high temps?

Also, what should I do if it is finished? I'm assuming it needs a diacetyl rest at about 75 degrees, but does it need to be cold conditioned at 35 like normal lagers? I guess what's confusing me is the type of yeast I used. Do I use it like a lager yeast, or like an ale? This is my first lager attempt, so I'm just trying to sort out what I need to prepare for in the next few weeks as I let it sit (I won't be moving it for at least another two weeks).

Any comments are appreciated.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
SavageSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

The fermentation is most likely done or very nearly done. I don't have experience with that specific yeast, but it's very reasonable for a beer to be done fermenting in a week or less. In general, higher temperatures produce faster fermentations.

If it is finished, then it's too late for a diacetyl rest, but I don't think this yeast even needs one. Warmer temperatures help the yeast clear up the diacetyl they produce. It is a lager yeast even though it ferments at higher temperatures than other lager yeasts.

Your beer will definitely benefit from lagering at ~34 deg. F. for a few months. It will clarify and some of the harsher tasting elements (if any) will fade away and you'll be left with a brilliantly clear, smooth, malty Oktoberfest.

In fact, all beers benefit from cold conditioning (lagering), even ones made with ale yeast.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply