New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Priming sugar added to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
squirm65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar added to secondary

So, I had an absent minded moment and added my priming sugar to my fruit beer after racking it into my secondary.

My questions:
1. Do I again add priming sugar when I bottle it?
2. Should I just bottle it right now and skip the secondary, since I just added sugar?

I have been reading through the forums and it looks like ppl add sugar to their fermentation as a matter of preference and it may even increase the alcohol content (interesting side effect).

Thoughts? Advice? Will it taste like syrup?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

You now need to leave it alone for a week to let the beer ferment the priming sugar. You just raised the beer's gravity by about .002 points.

Then prime with more sugar and bottle as normal.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 1818

Its fine, you haven't ruined it. Are you adding fruit to your fruit beer while its in the secondary? If yes, then you can 't skip the secondary. If no, then you can skip secondary but there's no reason to since you've already racked it. Stay the course.

The yeast will or already have eaten up your priming sugar, so you will need to add priming sugar (which can be regular table sugar) when you bottle.

And you're right, some styles do call for sugar among the fermentables in a recipe. Generally, this is to help dry out a beer. For example, a Belgian Tripel often will have sugar in the fermentables because, despite being a big beer, the style also calls for the beer to be easy drinking, have a light mouthfeel, and dry.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
squirm65
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. Thankfully you guys are just confirming what I originally thought. I already added the fruit to the secondary because I'm making a cherry wheat beer.

Thanks again

Quick Reply