Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Primary time for Lager at Ale temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Primary time for Lager at Ale temps

Ok, I live in South Florida and my house is kept at a balmy 79 degrees. I have NO space for a real cooling system. All this means that I am currently brewing a steam type beer with Saflager S-23 dry yeast. It is fermenting like crazy right now and my blow-off vessel is foaming up quite a bit. It is in a plastic tub and I can keep the temps around 67-70 degrees with ice bottles.

My question is: how long to ferment? Secondary, or Primary only?

I know there are tons of posts on this subject, but I have looked through about 15 different posts and I have not gotten the answer to my question. Some people say that if the yeast are at these temps for too long they can metabolize the alcohol into some type of acid. Other people say that I need to primary for longer for the yeast to "scrub" out any off flavors.

Any suggestions? What have you done in this situation? And yes I know I should keep my lager temps a bit cooler for optimal beer but it's too late! It's brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
sigurdur
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know that this beer --> http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/olvisholt-skjalfti/84417/ <-- is brewed with S-23 at temperatures around 19°C (around 66°F). I believe the lagering period is around one month, however I am not 100% certain.
Just let it ferment out, give it a couple of days extra in the primary, then lager it for a month.
I'll bet that you will get a great beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply