Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Primary with no airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
Eckythump
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary with no airlock

My buddy just recently became excited about trying homebrew. My 6.5 gallon carboy has a brown nut ale in it, so we went to buy him his own today. The local store only had 5 gallon carboys, so he bought a bucket with a cover instead (we now have a red ale in the bucket).

The cover does not have an airlock and is most definitely not air tight. I'm in the long primary camp, so would like to leave the red ale in the bucket for 3-4 weeks.

What is the general consensus on long primaries NOT under airlock?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can certainly perform the initial fermentation without an airtight lid (heck, I've heard of people just bungeeing a garbage bag over a bucket), but, no matter how much of a believer you are in long primaries, you'd be silly to leave it in the bucket for 3-4 weeks without being able to seal it off after the major off-gassing ends in 5 days or so. Transfer it to a 5-gallon carboy at that point, and start a new brew in your bucket. Then get an airtight lid and call it good.

Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think you'll be fine. I ferment in SS Stock Pots and typically leave my beers in primary for 3-4 weeks. No airlock, no airtight seal, just the lid and some saran wrap Once you have a blanket of Co2 on top of the beer you should be good to go. Just leave it alone until you are ready to keg or bottle.

Kegged: NADA
Bottled: Blackberry Mead
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter

Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Alucard1983
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well let u know my primary is like a big trash can(big white plastic bucket). It looks like a trash can after the foam resides I transfer to my carboy. It get rid of atlease half the trub. Then after 2 more weeks in a glass carboy it transfer again to another glass carboy then let it finish clearing. For me by doing this it allows me to transfer to my keg or bottles with minimum amount of picking up trub. This is the way I do it and I'm happy with my process, but everyone has there own opinions and procedures. What ever way you or your friend does it at else if your happy with it is the way you should do it.

Primary's Air
Carboy's Raspberry wine, pale ale
Kegged Cooper's Stout, Coopers lager, Newfie dive bomber pee
On tap Cooper's lager, Cooper's Stout

Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

An airlock is just a vent....so whether it has one of some other form of a vent to off gass is all that matters. It can be a plexiglass sheet on top of a bucket, a pie tin, plastic wrap. An airlock is one of the most superfluous objects that new brewer seem to ascribe the most importance to....For long primaries, for short primaries for whatever, it doesn't matter whether there is one or not.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

They sell the grommets at Lowes if your concerned about it buy an air lock for a buck$ and drill your hole and add the grommet....

Old 03-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
ndsgr
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I usually just use foil for primary and airlocks for long secondaries. I have found it to be very advantageous, especially for aggressive ferments. I don't rig up a blow off anymore since the krausen just leaks past the foil. Once the aggressive part is over, I replace the foil.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
kyral210
Recipes 

To be honest I canny think of a good reason not to use an airlock in primary. Thirds is because out allows you to control the points where infection could come from. If you are worried about blow offs then use two air locks with two pipes, this reducing the pressure on each lock from the foam, and if one gets clogged then you have another fully functional to take care of it. Maybe even use three locks if you brew a lot of high gravity beers.

As for secondary, it is a must! Also, starsan in three airlock is a very good idea!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyral210 View Post
As for secondary, it is a must! Also, starsan in three airlock is a very good idea!
REALLY? I haven't used a secondary since my 3rd brew. 18 total now. My beers are very well received by knowledgeable beer people.

I guess all the brewers who skip secondary are not brewing "beer".

There is no need to have an airtight lid. The infecting "bugs" do not fly. They fall. Unless you have air blowing into your fermenter you will be ok.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
There is no need to have an airtight lid. The infecting "bugs" do not fly. They fall. Unless you have air blowing into your fermenter you will be ok.
Yes. And the co2 coming out of whatever gap you have, even just a loose lid is going to push any of that stuff out of the way.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply