Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > In primary longer than suggested?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
J-Sull548
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default In primary longer than suggested?

So I brewed my very first batch last Sunday and it recommended 7-10 days in primary. Also said must have one bubble a min before transfer. I am at 7 days and am getting bubbles still at 15-20 seconds. What happens if it stays longer in the primary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Your beer will be better than if you followed those stupid directions...

Read this.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is kind of a rough estimate for primary. You really need a hdyrometer to see if it is done. It will be fine for longer and a lot of people( myself included) prefer a longer primary for crisper beer anyway. Has the yeast dropped yet?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
JoelAJ
Recipes 

Keep it in the primary for another week or 2 and then start measuring FG for consistent readings. I've never bottled before 2 weeks and have had to wait up to 5 weeks before fermentation completed once.

Just ignore the 7-10 day recommendation and go with what's right. Most instructions that I've read tend to throw out arbitrary lengths of time when they shouldn't.

I've read of people that keep it in the primary for a couple months, but I think that's overkill.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

As to airlock bubbling, read this as well.

Welcome.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
J-Sull548
Recipes 

So should I pop the lid and take a reading then? It looks like some yeast has started to drop. Got a nice head on it too. Smells great

Old 04-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sull548 View Post
So should I pop the lid and take a reading then? It looks like some yeast has started to drop. Got a nice head on it too. Smells great
When I do month long primaries I just take a reading at yeast pitch and a month later at bottling day.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
J-Sull548
Recipes 

So I should be fine to transfer to my secondary? I wasn't going to bottle yet. I was planning on leaving it in the secondary for 2-4 weeks. So I can brew up another batch.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

If you are planning to rack to secondary, I recommend you wait til day 14, taking a grav reading on days 12 and 14 to inusure that fermentation is complete AND to have left a few extra days of yeast contact to, as mentioned in the first thread I linked, to let the yeast clean up after itself.

It makes for better beer either way than racking.

I recommend folks just get another fermenter and use their secondary to make a batch of apfelwein, or skeeter pee, or type of beverage where headspace isn't that crucial and/or you can make a 4.5 gallon batch in the 5 gallon vessel instead.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
scruffymmh
Recipes 

Its safe to go to secondary now. Read gravity when racking, and write it down. 2-4 weeks in secondary is fine. Minimize oxygen exposure when racking and, if possible, minimize headspace in secondary vessel.

Quick Reply