New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Primary fermentation only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
ThatsGoodHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Primary fermentation only

Hello all, I have been brewing all grain for about a year now with both successes and failures but always a good time. Love brew day!

My question is(bare with me if this is a dumb question): I know that I don't HAVE to secondary, but can I primary only in a plastic bucket with a non-air tight lid? Or will that cause oxidization? Any info would be appreciated. I plan on using carboys but I have some already made in a 20gal bucket and was wondering if I HAD to transfer it. Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3462

I've had my beers in primary for more than 6 months in buckets with no issues. If you don't mess with them, don't keep opening them, then yo're not violating the co2 space in there.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

boscobeans Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
ThatsGoodHead
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks a bunch, all I needed. I am doing this primary only thing from posts I have read from you, so thanks again, looking forward to the results!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you don't mess with them, don't keep opening them, then yo're not violating the co2 space in there.
Great advice for all bucket brewers...

bosco

Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsGoodHead
with a non-air tight lid?
That's the only part that raised my eyebrows. If it's not airtight, eventually you will have oxidation issues. Might require some experimentation to figure that out.

Is there a reason it is not air tight?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsv1204 View Post
That's the only part that raised my eyebrows. If it's not airtight, eventually you will have oxidation issues. Might require some experimentation to figure that out.

Is there a reason it is not air tight?
I think he considers an airlock as not being airtight.

Because NO fermenter is ever airtight. You never want one to be, unless you like beer on the ceiling.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it is air locked, great - just wasn't sure if we were talking about an open fermenter or a loose lid or and airlock.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1663 Times on 1208 Posts
Likes Given: 943

Some people, even professional brewers ferment in OPEN vessels.

At one brewery in Northern Michigan they use open fermenters and last summer I noticed they have stretched Plastic Wrap across the tops to keep the flies out. (I highly doubt this was effective as I could see some small openings from where I was standing on the other side of the glass wall.)

Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

The fermenter I use has a "Burp" type lid. No airlock and not airtight. Never had a problem with oxidation even after 10 weeks.

As Revvy states in POST #2 "If you don't mess with them, don't keep opening them, then yo're not violating the co2 space in there."

bosco

Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Some people, even professional brewers ferment in OPEN vessels.

At one brewery in Northern Michigan they use open fermenters and last summer I noticed they have stretched Plastic Wrap across the tops to keep the flies out. (I highly doubt this was effective as I could see some small openings from where I was standing on the other side of the glass wall.)
I can't remember, is that Right Brain? I just saw on the cover of the Michigan Beer Guide that they moved.

Quick Reply