Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is primary "conditioning" a "super" condition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Redpiper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is primary "conditioning" a "super" condition?

Something I read here, that I can't find now, indicated this. Though just because I read it, doesn't mean it's true!

Wondering if the extra week in primary (so 3 or 4 total) advances the beer further than that same week conditioning in bottles (no secondary). Is the beer ready faster with a longer primary/shorter bottle time, or is it pretty much the same. Just trying to plan out my bottling schedule for the busy month of September.

Talking specifically about Nottingham yeast with a fairly small beer - 5.5 gallon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Leaving beer on the yeast after fermentation is "complete" allows the yeast to clear out byproducts. The more yeast available to do that the faster the process.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I may not be the only one, but I've been saying that for a while. I'll brew the same batch twice. First time I'll go three weeks in the fermenter (primary only or primary/secondary, doesn't matter) and it'll take a few weeks or a month after carbonation for the beer to taste as it should. Then I'll brew it and go a month in fermenters and the beer hits it's stride as soon as it's carbonated. Beer just seems to condition faster in bulk than it does in bottles. Doesn't seem to matter if it's all in primary, or you give it an extra week in secondary.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's about a million threads on this pretty much discussing it over and over. Just read one of those threads, and you'll find all the info you need.

This should provide you everything you need. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/sec...-weigh-176837/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply