Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pressure cooker as autoclave?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Placervillebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pressure cooker as autoclave?

Has anyone used a household pressure cooker as an autoclave, for there small yeast vials? I was tempted to place the really small vials and holder right into the pressure cooker for about 15-20 to get a sterile effect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
marcopolo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personally have not, but I'm considering doing it. I do know a guy in one of the local homebrew clubs who has been doing it for years with great success. I also remember hearing Jamil Zainasheff talking about it on one of his podcasts. The idea is that you can have ready to pitch yeast available at the spur of the moment so that you can brew without much prep work. I like that idea. FYI, I recently met a couple homebrewers that just take dry yeast & sprinkle it into the wort, and they are very happy with their results....

Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes I have done it and it works really well. I use a 500ML beaker to hold the vials and set the beaker on a SS trivet in the Pressure cooker. There is also this really hand thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guid...st-bank-35891/

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS