Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pressure Canner for Starters - 16 vs 23 qt Presto

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Regarding the need for pints:
I make quarts of starter wort in int pressure cooker. But I also toss in a few pints of priming liquid (5 oz corn sugar in a pint jar filled with water) in the pressure cooker. Pressure canning priming sugar is a real time saver on bottling day. And since I'm running the cooker anyway to make wort, I may as well toss in a few pints on top.

The priming solution is homogeneous so it is a matter of simple math ratios to to figure out how much of the pint you need to add to your beer to arrive at the correct volume of CO2.

N_G
It could be worse.

ArcLight Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #12
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Allrighty then, my pressure cooker arrived this afternoon! It's not as big as I thought it was going to be, definitely glad I went with the bigger one.

Ran my 1st batch of 7 quarts this evening. Unfortunately I measured out all my DME before I thought to check how big the jars actually are. 1 Qt = 0.95 L ==> 95 g/starter for 1.040 wort.

Then I checked the actual volume and realized that a quart is filled all the way to the brim :-/ With an inch of headspace it's about 800 ml. So out came 15 g from each jar.

Everything else seems to have gone smoothly though I'll have to wait till the pressure drops (I just killed the heat) to make sure I didn't have big gushers.

Quote:
I have been able to stack a few pints on top of quarts to get the most out of a run. I don't know if that is suggested, but it seems to work.
How do you do that? The directions say to stagger them, and when I tried that with empty jars it was very unstable. Do you just go on top of a single jar? Ever experienced any problems? It seems that you could probably only do it with a couple of them, as when I tried to put the pints on the outer jars they hit the lid. Curious how you do this.

Anyhow thanks everyone for the guidance. I'll let you know if anything went wrong!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

When I do add pints it its all very dicey looking and you do have to be careful when closing or opening the lid. You can't stagger them all that well. And you can't move the pot when its stacked that way or they will fall. At worst a jar will fall and spill, oh well. It has worked for me, YMMV.

Also, I think the common practice is NOT to add dme to the jars and then add water on top.

I believe the easier way to do it is to mix 1 pound of DME with 1 gallon and a few extra ounces of water and boil it for 10 mins in a regular pot to get past the initial hot break. Then transfer that liquid to 4 quart jars and pressure can. I usually fill up the rest of the canner with pints of priming solution and quarts of plain water that I can use as sterile water to top off a batch whenever as needed.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I make my canned starters the same way they do at BrewGeeks.
You just put 80 grams of DME in the jar and fill with water.
I first put the lid on tight and shake the jar to mix the two then I loosen the lid to "just snug" and put it in the pressure cooker.
It literally takes about 10 minutes or less to prepare seven quart jars. I don't mind if there is hot break material in the jars because the yeast will take care of a lot of that. Sometimes a bit of the hot break will hang on the side of jar so I shake the jar till it is in suspension and it will settle to the bottom.
I am pretty satisfied with this process and it doesn't get easier than this.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The results of my handiwork

Two of the jars didn't seal I think I didn't have the ring snug enough (or snug at all). Clearly I need to screw it on all the way, which I didn't do. Well lessons for next time. Was certainly a pretty easy process...

photo.jpg  

Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>I make quarts of starter wort in int pressure cooker. But I also toss in a few pints of priming liquid (5 oz corn sugar in a pint jar filled with water) in the pressure cooker. Pressure canning priming sugar is a real time saver on bottling day. And since I'm running the cooker anyway to make wort, I may as well toss in a few pints on top.

Thats a good idea, and it hadn't occured to me.
I'll see if my wife can pick me up a pressure canner at a yard sale.

What other equipment do you need along with the canner?
Jars & Lids
Tongs?

>>800 ml.

Thats a bit smaller than I'd like, though I suppose you can also use a pint jar in addition (does the pink also lose head space and measure around 425 ML? I guess one can mix a slightly weaker starter, say 1.03 instead of 1.04 and use 1.2 liters (the quart + the pint).
And for 2 Liter starters, you need 2 quart jars and a pint.
Probably 1.035 is the sweet spot

Nice pics ResumeMan

Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Pressure canners are dependent upon having a good, clean flexible rubber-ish seal between the lid and the pot (at least my Presto is). I'd be wary of a yard sale pressure canner. The energy they store during the heating process is massive and a blow-out due to an old, cracked seal is a scary thought. If you do get a yard sale one, at least invest in the new seals and other rubberish parts. They are available on the net.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcLight View Post
>>800 ml.

Thats a bit smaller than I'd like, though I suppose you can also use a pint jar in addition (does the pink also lose head space and measure around 425 ML? I guess one can mix a slightly weaker starter, say 1.03 instead of 1.04 and use 1.2 liters (the quart + the pint).
And for 2 Liter starters, you need 2 quart jars and a pint.
Probably 1.035 is the sweet spot

Nice pics ResumeMan
The 800 ml is the volume of liquid in the jar; a quart is about 945 ml total. So what I have been doing is putting 80 g of DME in the jar and filling to about the shoulder (IIRC there's even a handy set of ml tic marks, so I fill to 800).

I've been playing the mix-and-match game as you describe. I just enter wort volumes in 400-ml increments in Yeastcalc to get an amount of yeast I like. Been using quarts and pints so far, but I may grab a few half-gallon jars a well.

I've also been using varying wort concentrations. Per Jamil Z, stressed yeast like a weaker starter. So when I've been starting out with older washed yeast, I toss it into a pint of wort at about 1.025, just to start things off.

Then, to save having to chill and decant, and to save all the little yeasties I just made, I simply dump another pint of 1.070 or so wort on top of that. I figure the first starter probably went down to about 1.005 to 1.010, so doubling the volume with some 1.070 stuff should give me 800 ml of wort right in the right range. Then if I want a bigger step-up, I just add more regular-strength stuff.

This is all still pretty new to me, only done a couple batches in this fashion...

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Another use for pint sized jars is sterilized water for yeast washing. This is my baby:

http://www.allamericancanner.com/all...surecanner.htm

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nice, those All-Americans look great. Works with no rubber gasket, which eliminates a potential maintenance/failure issue. I tried getting my wife interested in canning produce, meats, etc. to justify the $200+ pricetag for an All-American ;-) She didn't bite tho, so when it became apparent that this was going to be a single-hobby purchase, I just went with the Presto for less than half the cost, which also got excellent reviews.

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Quick Reply