Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Preparing for Brew Day from Washed Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
jlanier01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Preparing for Brew Day from Washed Yeast

Im really looking for techniques to use when preparing washed yeast for a brew day. My yeast has been in cold storage for a week, and I believe everything is healthy inside. I looked for videos, threads, etc... But would appreciate any tips you may have.

Do you simply let your washed yeast warm up to room temperature, shake, settle and direct pitch?
Is there any reason to go from washed yeast back to a starter?

primary:

bottled: chocolate bourbon stout, centennial ipa, american ipa

graveyard: BB imperial pale ale, BB english brown ale,AHS King's Cream Ale, American Honey Wheat Ale (first PM),English Pale Ale (Dry w/Kent Goldings), AHS London Porter, Robust Chocolate Porter

up next: American IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
pstrohs
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you aren't doing a big beer and the yeast was washed a week ago then you will be fine w/o doing a starter. I would pull the yeast from the fridge at the beginning of your brew day, decant the liquid, swirl the yeast, and leave at room temp until you are ready to pitch.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
jmprdood
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts

^^^^Had great success doing just this on beers with an OG of <1.050. With bigger beers you may consider using some dme to make a quick starter a few hours before you start brewing.

If you're stupid, you have to be tough.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrohs View Post
If you aren't doing a big beer and the yeast was washed a week ago then you will be fine w/o doing a starter. I would pull the yeast from the fridge at the beginning of your brew day, decant the liquid, swirl the yeast, and leave at room temp until you are ready to pitch.
Well that depends on how much washed yeast the OP has. I have had times where I got 10mL of yeast and times where I got 100mL. It really just depends. I think the more accurate answer is to go to MrMalty, determine how much slurry you would need, approximate how much slurry you have and pitch accordingly. He probably has enough, but hard to say without details.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I always do a starter with my washed yeast, not just to grow cells, but to ensure the viability of the sacc. It gives me peace of mind and it only takes a few minutes to put it together.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 on MrMalty

the amount of slurry is important, of course, and its age..feed this data to MrMalty, and he will reveal the answer...try to get the yeast to room temp (65-70) on brewing day..temp shock is something to avoid

If less than a week or so, and you have enough slurry for the size beer you are brewing, then no starter required..but check w/Mr Malty if you are doing a huge beer

FWIW, I have had great success using starters on yeast > 3 weeks old ..best was some WLP550 which was over 1 year old..had to step it up, but the beer was great.

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply