Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pre-inflated smack pack

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Pre-inflated smack pack

Just a small worry.

I got a smack pack of 1056 shipped to me a few weeks ago, when it arrived, it was already swollen fully. I assumed the inner bag popped and my yeast was good to go. However, on brew day at pitching time, i opened it to find a thick chunky mess in the packet, with the inner bubble un popped. I popped it and tried to mix (hard to shake it up when its cut open!) and proceeded to pitch.

Smelled ok...

What do yall think? High shipping temps ramping up the yeast? Off flavor production in my beer?

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
jsweet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Hmmm, with a pre-inflated smack pack, I would have definitely done a starter just to make sure it was still good to go.

I don't think you're likely to get off flavors due to the yeast activity that's already taken place -- there is so little that would have been produced inside the pack. But it's possible that you underpitched, depending on how viable the remaining yeast was.

I'm an abject n00b, but my thought is that if the fermentation takes off in a timely fashion, you'll probably be fine. What was the OG? If it was a high gravity beer, you may have yourself a problem.... Not an unfixable problem, to be sure, but...

Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You should make a starter with ALL liquid yeast. Whether the pack is smacked or not. That's how you know how your yeast is, whether it's viable or not.

Some yeasts look like a "thick chunky mess" so that doesn't mean there's anything wrong.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Henrythe9th Likes This 
Old 06-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You should make a starter with ALL liquid yeast. Whether the pack is smacked or not. That's how you know how your yeast is, whether it's viable or not.

Some yeasts look like a "thick chunky mess" so that doesn't mean there's anything wrong.
What Revvy said! Those packs swell in shipping due to being warm, not cuz the nutrient pack broke. And a starters a good idea, ensures an appropriate pitch rate for your beer.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Yeah, I have been trying to make starters for every batch, this one was an unfortunate lapse of reason. Just wondering about opinions. Thanks yall!

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Native302
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Same thing happend to me. I got my 1056 smack pack in the mail swollen. Could not pop the nutrient sack for fear of popping the whole bag. I made a 2L starter with it and it was fine. It's now chugging away in my 1.110 Russian Imperail Stout.

Just buy a small swimming pool, throw everything in and mash it. Then open ferment in another swimming pool with all the yeast.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
LCTitan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ironically I had a 1056 inflate while on the inside door of the refrigerator. Made a yeast starter as I always do with my liquid yeast and everything was fine. It's busy eating away in my latest IPA and seems to be very happy as the airlock has been bubbling away nicely for four days straight.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTitan View Post
Ironically I had a 1056 inflate while on the inside door of the refrigerator. Made a yeast starter as I always do with my liquid yeast and everything was fine. It's busy eating away in my latest IPA and seems to be very happy as the airlock has been bubbling away nicely for four days straight.
I've had the same thing happen. High temps does not make this occur. As long as you do a starter to know it's viable you should be fine.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Saw a thread about the same issue a couple weeks ago....seems like I have been seeing the issue pretty regularly discussed lately...long story short is that one LHBS has even posted a note on their web site that they will not honor waranty for the situation. Nobody is saying that the yeast is not good when used.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
JerTheRipper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At my LHBS they often have packs like this swollen priced at 50% off. I've been buying them, propagating them in a starter and splitting the yeast from the starter into sterilized vials. So far I haven't had one bad one.

The best thing to do if you're unsure of your yeast, and what I do every single time, is make a starter. Taste your starter. Smell your starter. You'll know if you're about to throw a vial of infection into your wort.

Quick Reply