Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Possible Tell Yeast Starters Apart?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Johnny5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Possible Tell Yeast Starters Apart?

So, I was preparing yeast starters for a hefe weizen and a kolsch in identical beakers -- and got distracted by my kids in the end as I pitched Wyeast packets into the beakers -- and put them down near each other before I labeled the beakers.

So, when I got back to the beakers, I was about 90% sure I knew which yeast was in each beaker, but not 100%. Anyone know a way to determine which yeast is which? Not sure if they'll each give off any different smells at this stage to tell them apart. FYI, I had to sub in an American Wheat yeast for the kolsch and I used a bavarian wheat yeast for the hefe.

I totally feel dumb sending this in, but hey. It's not quite as easy to do brew things with kids around!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
theredben
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

At first I thought this was easy, since you said Kolsch starter vs. Hefe starter. I figured just taste it, hefeweizen yeast has a very distinctive taste. But since you are actually looking for some difference between American Wheat and Bavarian Wheat, I can't help. Sorry.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Johnny5
Recipes 

Well, thanks for responding. I figured it would be a tall order. Maybe someone else will think of something.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

well, it should be done fermenting rather quickly, whichever one starts clearing first is probably the kolsch/american wheat as bavarian wheat yeasts are ultra-low flocculators. Also, you could smell it - bavarian is pretty distinctive. An american wheat is a more clean fermenting yeast than the bavarian. This would be a really fun brewing game for a homebrew club to do.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you smell a lot of banana, thats the bavarian strain. It should be very distinctive, give it a whif. The american wheat may have some of that.... but you will smell an overwhelming banana smell with the hefe strain if you let it go for a couple hours.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Johnny5
Recipes 

Yeah, I was wondering if the bavarian would already have the banana aroma. I'll give it a shot and see if I can tell. Thanks, everyone!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
Johnny5
Recipes 

I just did the smell test and, wow, you were right. Bavarian already has the distinctive banana smell (and I had guessed right, initially). Thanks again!

Quick Reply