Is it possible to over-aerate a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstAidBrewing

Reaction score
Hey all,

Possibly a dumb question, but here goes...

I currently have a 1L starter going in my shiny new 5L flask :rockin:

On setting 1 of my stir plate, I've got plenty of motion on my wort but no vortex like I've seen on some of the videos I've watched.

However setting 2 seems almost too fast for the amount or wort. Lots of splashing and the "vortext" goes all the way down to the glass base of the flask/stir bar.

Not really sure if this is a good thing so wanted to toss this out. Is setting 1 or setting 2 better? Thanks!

I don't use a stir plate - I just do the shake method. I think the answer to your post title is no, it's not possible to over aerate a starter. However, in things I've read about stir plates, you just need enough of a vortex to keep that wort moving, thus keep the yeast in suspension. I suspect level 1 would do the trick just fine. My guess is you'd use a level 2 on that stir plate if you made a bigger volume starter.

Back