possible infection- cottage cheese around the top??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losman26

Reaction score
So I brewed up MoreBeer's Pliny the Elder extract clone, doing a starter using Wyeast 1056 for a good 30 hours. My sanitizing methods were good, but I made one mistake in the whole process. The recipe called for a boil of 1lb corn sugar, and a whirlfloc tablet during the last 10 minutes of the boil, which I neglected to do. Realizing this a couple of hours later after I pitched the yeast, I boiled both the corn syrup and and tablet in 1 cup of water (probably not enough) for 10-15 min. I waited until it cooled down, but unfortunately it wasn't diluted enough where the sugar was thick like honey. I put as much that I could get in the carboy, but a krausen was already developing.

Now, there seems to be a cottage cheese like appearance around the top of the wort, but in chunks. So it's good in some areas, but in other areas, looks like the cottage cheese.

So, I realize that I made some mistakes on this brew, but am I being paranoid about a possible infection? Could it be that these chunks are simply the corn syrup that was on top of the krausen which didn't settle down yet?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

How about a pic?
Ok, This is a better bottle. As you can see, the krausen has mostly fallen and you can see chunks on the top. This is day 5 of fermentation, and some areas aren't as bad as others, but it seems to be growing.

bbottle 003.jpg

Day 5 seems awfully early to be concerned about infection - and that looks pretty standard to me.

Sure, you might've added that sugar a bit thick, but boiled like it was, I wouldn't think it'd be an infection risk. Relax!

Day 5 seems awfully early to be concerned about infection - and that looks pretty standard to me.

Sure, you might've added that sugar a bit thick, but boiled like it was, I wouldn't think it'd be an infection risk. Relax!
I thought maybe it could've been an infection risk because I had the carboy open for a good minute and 1/2, but everything was santized very well. I'm still kind of a newbie in all of this, so appreciate your advice. I noticed that you're in CT as well, and probably a guitar player like myself. Have you been to Maltose? I've done a couple of clone kits of theirs, and they've turned out really good.

No worries at all. The only thing is, adding the whirlfloc like that will make it useless. It won't harm a thing, but it's a "kettle fining", which means it works in the boil to coagulate proteins. Adding it after the boil just renders it ineffective. It won't hurt it- but you may not have the clarity you would have if it was in the boil.

Did you use corn sugar or corn syrup in this recipe?

Yeah, I've been to Maltose once - did one of their kits and was quite pleased, except it was definitely expensive. I prefer Brew & Wine Hobby over in East Hartford, but that'd be quite a hike for you.

Yeah, I've been to Maltose once - did one of their kits and was quite pleased, except it was definitely expensive. I prefer Brew & Wine Hobby over in East Hartford, but that'd be quite a hike for you.
I'll check out brew and wine hobby next time I'm there. Maltose is expensive, you're right. Their equipment is way over price. My first better bottle I bought there was $35, and then when I went to another brew store in West Chester, NY closer to where I live it was $23. The recipe kits are are almost the same price as other places online when you figure in shipping costs, and adding yeast to it. Every recipe kit I've done from there has turned out great.

No worries at all. The only thing is, adding the whirlfloc like that will make it useless. It won't harm a thing, but it's a "kettle fining", which means it works in the boil to coagulate proteins. Adding it after the boil just renders it ineffective. It won't hurt it- but you may not have the clarity you would have if it was in the boil.

Did you use corn sugar or corn syrup in this recipe?
Corn sugar, which I should have added to the last ten minutes of the boil. Only using 1 cup to dilute, made it look like corn syrup though by the time it cooled.

im doin a clone where im decocting a couple thiefs and whisking in a pound of sugar at a time. done about 9 additions so far. you have nothing to worry about

looks normal to me ;) I get that in almost all my beers. It may have to do with the amount of hops you used. Do you normally use that much hops in your IPA's? I regularly use upwards of a pound in every batch i make and i get that same thick krausen around the edges... No worries, just drink a beer and relax.

looks normal to me ;) I get that in almost all my beers. It may have to do with the amount of hops you used. Do you normally use that much hops in your IPA's? I regularly use upwards of a pound in every batch i make and i get that same thick krausen around the edges... No worries, just drink a beer and relax.
I normally don't use this many hops. The amount of hops is right around 14 oz in this one. I'm pretty sure this batch will be ok, but my stupid "rookie" mistakes worries me. I guess, I'm not gonna brew late night anymore while drinking. I also did a anothert clone of this same beer from another brew store, and didn't have this kind of reaction. From what I remember, the previous recipe of this clone had more dry-hopping and less hops during the boil.

Pliny the elder clone, but instead of sugar i use Agave nectar. The Agave nectar drys the beer out and gives it more character. (not that pliny needed any more) But the beer becomes more complex. I normally use the newer recipe that Vinny posted with 16oz of hops. It starts bitter and finishes sweet, the aroma is of pine, citrus and a light agave. 5 Gallons normally lasts about 3 weeks on tap at my house or about 3-7 days if i bottle.

I have turned 3 people on to homebrewing with this beer...

Back