Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is it possible to have a "small" infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
pattycakes888
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is it possible to have a "small" infection

So it finally happened, 2 years into homebrewing and I'm pretty sure my beer got a Lactobacillus infection. However, after searching this absolutely amazing discussion forum for information, I've notice that all infections seem to be full-blown infections. I made a pumpkin milk stout, and this was the beer that I notice a small white film island floating on top of the primary after about 3.5 weeks. I stress the word small, maybe an inch in diameter. My question is, can I save this beer? Should I put it in the keg? and is it even a big deal? The beer still tastes ok, I can detect some off flavors, but I certainly don't want it to develop more in the keg. Do all infections turn into catastrophic nightmares like the pictures in the "post your infection thread"?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

You have a pic? That doesn't sound like an infection.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Chances are it's fine, but if it is infected you can toss it in the keg as long as it tastes good and drink it quickly. Any bacteria or wild yeast will reproduce much slower and you should be able to still enjoy the beer. No bottles, though, in case you get something super-attenuative in there that could blow them up.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
periwinkle1239
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Need picture to evaluate

Quick Reply