The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > possible contamination? air-lock cap popped off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
FSUBrewer06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default possible contamination? air-lock cap popped off

just a quick question regarding the subject line. just finished brewing a 5 gallon batch (6 gallon glass carboy) and put the S-shaped airlock with it capped in the rubber stopper as usual. woke up this morning, and at some point...it must've popped off with the bubbling. i sanitized the cap again and recapped the airlock.

should i have a whole lot of worries? it was probably off a few hours i'm assuming. any help would be much appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You shouldn't have any worries. It was an airlock and there was still CO2 being pushed through. But, we all know taht you will worry about things like Enterobacter, Acetobacter, Lactobacillus, Peddiococus, and those wild and crazy ferrel cervisciae.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

Sure, there's some risk of infection, but there is NOTHING you can do. This is truly a time when you should heed Charlie's advice that "Nothing spoils the flavor of your beer more than worrying about it."

Old 11-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 24

It's happened to me a few times, air lock will get pushed out or, even stranger, the blow off tube gets pushed out. I've just sanitized and recapped everytime with no noticible problems or off flavors.

Fermentation is an ugly beast sometimes.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Just remember that the bad stuff are not ninja acrobats....whether it is a 3 piece or an s type, they would STILL have to manage to swim through the liquid, then either negotiate a series of twist and turns through an S shaped "track" OR have to dive down, then swim up the center post under the plastic bubbler, then lift said bubbler up enough to the make it into the center post and dive into your fermenter....and STILL have to negotiate the rising co2 current pushing out of the fermenter itself....Think about it...

Needless to say a piece of dust ain't gonna make it. And not much else either. Relax

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply