Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is it possible for a 1.090 OG Imperial IPA to ferment to completion in 4 days?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipharet View Post
Ok, so now I am curious about dry hopping. Should I wait for a few days to make sure the yeast clean up after themselves to prevent diacetyl or go ahead and dry hop then raise temps a couple of days before I bottle? My last IPA had a pretty bad diacetyl issue and I waited a month to bottle on that one. I currently trying to warm those bottles up in hope it cleans itself up.
Yes. WAIT.

Active fermentation may be complete, but the flavor profile of the beer is incomplete until the yeast have thoroughly cleaned up their own byproducts (diacetyl).

I'd say a minimum of two weeks in the primary. I like to secondary my big IPA's because the amount of trub increases the likelihood (in my experience) of some slight yeast mutation. Plus, adding dry hops on top of primary trub will leave you with a LOT of sludge.
sudbuster Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Yes. WAIT.

Active fermentation may be complete, but the flavor profile of the beer is incomplete until the yeast have thoroughly cleaned up their own byproducts (diacetyl).

I'd say a minimum of two weeks in the primary. I like to secondary my big IPA's because the amount of trub increases the likelihood (in my experience) of some slight yeast mutation. Plus, adding dry hops on top of primary trub will leave you with a LOT of sludge.
Cool! Get this bunch straitened out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply