Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pliny: to secondary or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
MacGruber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Pliny: to secondary or not?

Pliny is fermenting like crazy and my basement smells like a hop forest! The recipe says to dry hop in secondary for two weeks in two stages. I haven't done secondary in a year or so in favor of the long primary. Is secondary beneficial/useful in this case for dry hopping? Or should I just dry hop in primary? I would like to hear some opinions so that I'm not scrambling when this thing is done fermenting.

Also, how long did others' Pliny clones take to finish fermenting? Two weeks? Three?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Vinny said in his article that there is a greater potential of oxidation in big hoppy beers like DIPAs when transferring. He suggested flushing all lines and secondary with CO2, but I don't know how to do that. I have CO2 tanks but have only used them to push my kegs. I'm afraid of oxidizing this batch.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Harvbar
BullMoose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i transfered mine after 3 weeks in primary, let it sit for 2 more weeks at a little warmer temp, then dry hopped for about 9 days. The samples i took tasted great, just waiting for it to carb now.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

In the talks I've heard Vinnie give he was adamant about dropping the yeast out before dry hopping so you don't lose aromatics to the yeast still in suspension. Maybe you could cold crash, pull it and then dry hop in primary?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 296

I've got a Pliny inspired beer ready to keg right now. I dry hopped in primary like I usually do. I'll probably throw a tea ball of hops into the keg too. Just need to finish assembling my new keezer and I can start pouring.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I did the first round of dry hopping in the primary then I racked to a secondary for the next round of dry hopping.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Update: I checked the gravity and it's 1.011. I decided to start dry hopping in primary instead of risking oxidation plus I'm lazy. Sample tasted good. Lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue. It doesn't have hop aroma at all right now. I'm thinking it's going to turn out great after two rounds of dry hopping. I'm going to cold crash it after the dry hopping because it's still cloudy.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Ahfack
Recipes 

I did my own version of Pliny using cascade/centennial/amarillo. I used a 6.5gal carboy for primary for just over a week, and I racked to secondary in a 5gal carboy for just over 2 weeks. Dry hopped for all of the 14 days, the last 4 days adding round 2 of the dry hops. I used Munton's Kreamy X for carbonation, and they have been in bottles for about 3 weeks now. It is absolutely delightful, possibly my best beer to date, and the nice frothy head is delicious. I cannot wait to give them a couple more weeks! I would remake this in a heartbeat!

The only thing I would do differently is not use the dry hop bags and filter straight to the bottling bucket.

OG 1.071
FG 1.017
About 7% abv

Last edited by Ahfack; 04-14-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Update: I just did my second round of dry hopping. I had decided to leave it in the primary. I think I detected a slight cidery scent. I'll take another hydrometer reading when I keg it in 5 days. We'll see! The sample I had last week was tasting great.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
bink00
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I getting ready to do my first round of dry hopping on the pliny clone as soon I finish this here neirra sevada pint and walk over to the freezer and pull out the hops. Im just throwing them in the primary...no bag no nothin'. I havent had a problem dry hopping like this in all my brews...but then again I havent done anything with this much hops!

Quick Reply