Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pliny Elder Clone with US 05

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
bishjb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Pliny Elder Clone with US 05

I made a Pliny clone from Morebeer w/2 packets of re-hydrated US 05 (I know, should have done a liquid yeast, made a starter, etc.....but I was lazy!)

It has been in the primary for 4 weeks. I have a temp controller on refrig. started at 66 degrees for two weeks then lowered to 64. Should I D rest or just got to secondary and dry hop?

Thanks for any opinions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Rambleon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What were your numbers? If it were me I'd wait for fermentation to cease then just dry hop in the primary. I've never needed to do a d rest with 05.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
bishjb
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I dropped and broke my hydrometer while making the beer! (May have been a drinking issue....). So I don't have the numbers. I figured I'd just leave it in primary for at least 4-5 weeks. If I dry hop in primary, should I consider a D rest? Before or after dry hop?

After secondary (or two weeks dry hopping in primary) should I cold crash before kegging?

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Rambleon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could raise the temp while dry hopping but it likely isn't necessary. Here's what I do with almost all of my beers:

-pitch yeast and allow to ferment completely out, usually around ten days based on hydrometer readings.
-if I'm using a flocculant English strain I'll do a d rest but I've never done one with a well-attenuating strain like 1056/001/us05. Never had any reason to.
-add dry hops straight into primary. I never go more than ten days because I start to notice grassy flavors after that point.
-keg it. The colder the keg the faster it carbs so I consider that my crash. Lately I've been fond of adding gelatin to the keg once it's cold. In less than a week the beer is crystal clear and it doesn't effect flavor/aroma at all.

That's just my way of doing things. It won't steer you wrong but there is more than one way to skin a cat. Either way you'll end up with tasty beer!

Quick Reply