New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Please Help w/ Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
hopmadness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Please Help w/ Starter

This is my first time doing a starter, and I planed on using an Activator smack pack. I put 2/3 cup DME into just less than 1 qt water. Took my eyes off from it for a secong and it boiled over. I ended with about half a quart of wort to use for the starter....threw it in the fridge to cool before I put in the smack pack...BUT when it started to cool a significant amount of DME fell out of solution. So now I have a half quart for a starter with a large amount of "solid" debris (undissolved sugar that was initially in solution) on the bottom of my container. Should I use this still?? Will it be ok?? I don't really have any more DME to start over with. Thanks for the insight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
mordantly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you're going to need to reboil it... it didn't get it's alloted 15 minutes or this insoluability wouldn't be an issue. as it nears the boil point, you need to throttle back/remove from burner/or add defoamer. in flasks, no defoamer, it is a little tricky as the foam stoppers create pressure to assist in boil-overs. also, i use 1 cup per quart(L).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply