Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Plates to Slants

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
gregkeller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Plates to Slants

Ok, so i'm into my first couple of attempts at making a yeast library with slants. I've got 5 gorgeous slants of wlp036 with good growth after only 2 days, I innoculated them directly from a vial of yeast. I also made a couple of agar plates to harvest from bottles and a beer i currently have in primary.

So my question is this, i've got a pale ale that used a strain of yeast that austin home brew has the rights to, wlp299. Basically it was sold as a fruiter 001. It smells awesome, but that could be the citra/columbus dry hop. Anyway, to get the yeast from this i plated a sample directly from primary and i've gotten great colonies growing on my agar plate. I was wondering how many colonies i should put on each slant now to hold onto. I was thinking that one colony per slant would ensure a pure sample, that came from one single cell, but I also was not sure if only putting one colony on a slant would grow out to give me enough cells to eventually step up to a starter.

I don't want to spend 10 days building a starter up from a couple million cells, so should i harvest a couple of colonies from my plate per slant? or will one colony grow out and fill the slant?

thanks, and boy, does this aspect of homebrewing fuel my inner geek, this stuff is a blast.

Keg #1 - Claire's IPA (wife's 1st beer post baby)
Keg #2 - Heady Topper clone
Keg #3 - Oatmeal Stout
On Deck- Berliner Weiss.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #2
scinerd3000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

one colony smeared will cover the slant. One colony is (if done correctly) made up of one type of cell which are all "pure"....If propigating from slants, your best bet is to take the time- although not desirable to wait- in order to get the best results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply