Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitching Yeast w/o Energizer & Nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
Kyleisdesign
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pitching Yeast w/o Energizer & Nutrient

So I decided to brew a hard cherry limeade this evening. As I am cooling down the "wort" I go to measure out the Yeast Energizer and Nutrient only to realize that they are both not at my home and I cannot retrieve them until tomorrow evening. I am wondering whether I should go ahead and pitch my yeast tonight then add the energizer and nutrient tomorrow or should I just put the "wort" into the sanitized carboy and wait until tomorrow evening to add the yeast and the energizer and nutrient?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
SkunkyBrewster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Proper nutrition is most important during the growth phase of fermentation where the yeast are getting used to their new environment (your wort) and propagating and gearing up their biological functions to best deal with their surroundings. If you are careful sealing the wort in a sanitary manner there is no harm in letting it sit until tomorrow when you can pitch all the fixins together as planned.

"I'm a glass half-empty kinda guy. When it's half full, that means you're filling it, like a bartender. When it's half-empty, that means you're drinking it. I'd much rather be drinking the beer than pouring it."

Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
Kyleisdesign
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I assumed. Thank you for confirming! Everything was sanitized along the way so I should be good for 24 hours hopefully.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Personally, I'd pitch now. Ideally, you want the nutrients and a quick pitch, but given the choice, I'd rather not give the bacteria a 24 head start. Just my $.02.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
Kyleisdesign
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm now I am conflicted. Would it make sense to leave it at a happy medium and pitch the yeast in the morning so there would only be a 12 hour delay on pitching the yeast and only like a 12 hour delay until the nutrients are added?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #6
macleod319
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wait. Like Skunky said, the nutrients are the most important the first day of fermentation. If you pitch now, you might as well forget the nutrients altogether.

But don't take our word for it. The Yeast book has the answers you are looking for.

None of that matters as I'm going to brew some beer with some loud rock music.

Quick Reply