Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitching yeast from local brew pub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Teerum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching yeast from local brew pub

So I wanted to try using some yeast from my favorite micro brew pub and left a sterilized 64 oz growler with the brew master and he filled it half way full with a second generation N.W. ale yeast from thier scotch ale which happens to be my favorite beer they make. Now I wanted to use this for my pumpkin ale, but got impatient and brewed it allready. My next beer to make is my wit wich I make w/ American ale yeast anyway, so I'm wondering how to go about using this yeast in my beer. I have kept the yeast in my refrigerator for 2 weeks. I plan on bringing it back to room temp and adding some DME to wake it back up before pitching. Should I add the whole 32 oz's or would that be too much? 5 gallon batch btw.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You really need to determine the correct pitching rate using a calculator like yeastcalc or MrMalty. How large a batch, the OG and age of the yeast will determine the quantity. 32oz is almost certainly going to be too much yeast to put into a starter and I would consider rinsing and storing some if you think it is going to be used in future. I would be guessing about 50ml of thick yeast into a 2L starter might be the sort of yeast volume your calculator would suggest for a 5gallon batch.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

you don't need to do anything to it. i find that about 1/4 cup of slurry into a 1050-1060 beer to be about right. just bring it to whatever temp the wort is and pitch, no need for a starter or washing. the reason i get yeast from the brewery is to avoid making starters, you already have many trillions of yeast cells in that growler.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
Teerum
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies and I'm glad I posted this question before dumping the whole thing into my wort. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of the yeast. el caro, you say I need to rinse the yeast bfore storing it? I guess I will look into doing something like that.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

i store yeast right from the fermentor into a jar, no washing and it's good for months.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Teerum
Recipes 

Nice!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #7
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak
you don't need to do anything to it. i find that about 1/4 cup of slurry into a 1050-1060 beer to be about right. just bring it to whatever temp the wort is and pitch, no need for a starter or washing. the reason i get yeast from the brewery is to avoid making starters, you already have many trillions of yeast cells in that growler.
I agree with this guy. The whole reason to do yeast starters is to grow yeast from a small amount (because it's cheaper) up to the correct amount for your wort.
You already have trillions of yeast cells, so why take a small amount of it and build it up again?

Quick Reply