Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitching on yeast cake -same beer ? And/or higher OG ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
sillyburt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pitching on yeast cake -same beer ? And/or higher OG ?

I’ve searched and read several posts on pitching a new batch on top of a trub / slurry that was recently racked. Lots of people are saying to always go with a bigger and/or darker beer.

What happens however when you put the SAME beer on top of the slurry? i.e. make two batches of the same beer in a row and dumping the new one on the old slurry?

How much larger of a beer should you go with when pitching on a yeast cake?

I was thinking of making a 1040 Cream Ale, then dumping a 1047 Amber Ale on top and then perhaps another 1047 Amber Ale (or maybe bumping the OG up if needed).

I know some will say take some slurry out and clean fermentor out and use Mr Malty to figure out how much to repitch and while I’m considering this I’d like to get some opinions on doing what I was thinking above.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The usual side effect I see from pitching on a big cake are these:

Faster, more violent fermentation. This is a big deal, and its something you need to think about. More yeast means more heat, so if you don't have temp control, you're going to have issues.

"Cleaner" Beer. By cleaner, I mean less yeast derived flavor.

I pitch on cakes a lot. It works well.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post

"Cleaner" Beer. By cleaner, I mean less yeast derived flavor.
So it's not the best for beers that are dependent on yeast for the flavor like Belgians, hefeweizens, etc... But would be good for beers with "clean" yeast flavors like almost any American style.

The cake also takes up some space in the fermenter. So If your fermenter was kinda small to begin with you will probably loose some beer to blow off. I use the 6 gallon better bottles and some times I loose about a half gallon of beer during the ferment.

Quick Reply