Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitching on old yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
RokGoblin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Pitching on old yeast cake

OK, so I know you are typically supposed to re-pitch yeast into progressively darker and stronger wort, but what could I expect if I were to attempt to make a brown ale after a stout? More roasty flavors? Slightly darker wort?

Fresh WLP002 in a 1000ml starter was what I originally pitched into my stout.

G!

Homebrewing Since (way back in) Dec 2007
  • In Primaries: BatchG!0029 - Lawnmower Juice v1.1, BatchG!0030 - Cream Your Pants Ale v.2.2
  • In Secondary: Thirsty...need wort
  • In Bottles: Batch G! 0023 - Krunkin Punkin Ale, BatchG!0028 - Lawnmower Juice V1.0
  • In Keg1: Thirsty...need brew
  • In Keg2: Thirsty...need brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Harvest slurry from your fermenter and pitch that. Do not put fresh wort onto an entire yeast cake. It is not good brewing practice.

Harvesting is insanely easy: Clean and sanitize a scoop. I used a stainless-steel kitchen measuring cup; glass works also. Clean and sanitize several Mason or glass jam/peanut butter jars. Carefully - you don't want to nick or scratch the plastic fermenter - scoop up enough yeast to fill each jar halfway. Seal tightly and immediately refrigerate. Use within seven days. Now go clean that filthy fermenter.

For most beers (OG 1.040-1.060), a cup - 8 fluid ounces - of slurry is an appropriate amount of slurry to pitch. The formulae and in-depth information is yours if you want it; PM or email.

One of these days, I'm gonna just write this into a file and save it, so I don't have to rewrite it over and over again.

Cheers!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply