Pitching more yeast / oxygenate again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
brewed a small batch yesterday split between two 1 gallon jugs. OG 1.063, pitched 60mL of yeast slurry to each jug (120mL) total. the yeast was 2nd gen rinsed Pacman that I bottle harvested. I harvested it from a 4 gal batch of ~1.055 that did a good job. the harvested yeast was sitting on an equal layer of trub in the mason jar.

I didn't use a starter, but let it warm up to room temp. I used pure O2 for 40 seconds @ .5 LPM on each jug through a 2 micron stone.

I put them into a water bath at ~62 F around 4:30–5:00 PM yesterday and there is still no visible activity, about 22 hours later.

Should I let it ride and see what happens, or should I pitch another mason jar of yeast? If I do pitch more, should I oxygenate again?

As a general rule you can oxygenate if the fermentation has not started. I wouldn't consider it a 'best practice', but it can be done and usually with really high gravity brews. If it's only been a day, I'd wait and see what happens.

Thanks Hammy. Forgot to add the harvest date on the rinsed yeast, which was 11/4/12.

I'm also new to using oxygen and wasn't sure if it was getting into solution or not, and wondering if I didn't add much O2 at all.

But yeah, so ill give it another day and see if its started and if not, maybe a little more oxygen and another pitch?

62 is a little on the cool side so it might start slow. Give it more time. I would not add any more oxygen as you risk spoiling the beer at this point.

okay, they both finally took off. just not used to that long a lag time, but then again, i usually do starters.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back