Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitching more yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Noleafclover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching more yeast

Last night around 10:00 pm cst I pitched a pack of Wyeast 3333 propagator. I broke the nutrient pack inside at 5:00 pm. I suspected the pack might not not be alive because the last time I used a smackpack it expanded a lot, and this one didn't. If I don't have any activity in 24 hours, will I be okay pitching more yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
danielinva
Recipes 

If you indeed used a propagator rather than an activator pack you have severely under-pitched. While an activator pack is good for fermenting a 5 gallon batch of moderate gravity, a propagator pack is only designed to get a one liter starter going. Look at their website
If it was an activator pack I would say wait it out, but you may want to look into adding more yeast.

So yes, you will be okay adding more yeast.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Noleafclover
Recipes 

Thanks for the assistance!

Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Did you happen to notice this sticky?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/

And by visible signs we don't mean bubbling of the airlock, we mean krauzen or more importantly hydrometer readings.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happenning, doesn't mean that anything's wrong, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working dilligantly away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years....

If you've underpitched or not made a starter which it sounds like you didn't do, right now your yeast is cominng out of a dormant period, it finds it self surrounded by 5 gallons of food, so it is waking up, and waking up its friends...THEN before it starts truly diving in the yeast start growing an army to best eat it, so they have a wild orgy and then make a bunch of yeast babies. Then they get to work. So that is why it can take up to three days before the really get going..it's called lag time, and it is perfectly normal.

An airlock is a vent for excess co2, nothing more, it's to keep your beer off the ceiling, and is designed to vent and still keep stuff out of your beer....that's really it...

In fact many no longer use airlocks at all, just cover the hole with a piece of tinfoil, or use a piece of plexiglass instead of a lid.

Read this for why airlock analysing is useless, and what is the only gauge of ferementation...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1217925-post3.html

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.....

Thinking about pitching more yeast before taking a hydrometer reading after 72 hours, is the same thing....thinking about a "cure" before we even know if the beer is even "sick."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply