The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitching champagne yeast for barleywine carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
VintageNumber4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitching champagne yeast for barleywine carbonation?

Just the other day I brewed a pretty massive barleywine. In my experience, both commercial brews and homebrews of the style have a tendency to come out under-carbonated. I read in a book on the topic "pitching champagne yeast, which is more alcohol tolerant than ale yeast, a few days prior to bottling can aid carbonation for those who fear flat beer."

Has anyone ever tried this? If so I'd appreciate any words on how much yeast to pitch, when, and what other variables I need to consider.

It sounds like a practical idea, but I'm afraid of the yeast drying out the brew or producing off flavors that are undesirable for the style.

Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Shinglejohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I dont think that it will produce off flavors, but wine yeasts do make a dryer drink. Id be affraid of it casuing too much carbonation as the yeast consumes sugars that ale yeasts left alone.

I did bottle a barleywine last year, where i added some dry ale yeast to each bottle, to ensure healthy yeat for carbing and it worked fantastic.

The reason i did that was ecause the beer sat in secondary for 8 months and i wanted to ensure there was a viable yeast culture in the bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply