Pitching both Liquid and Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinHorton

Reaction score
I am getting ready to order my 3rd extract kit and I am on Austin Homebrew, for the first time. I'm looking at the AHS Imperial Black Rye IPA

Thousands of years of brewing have lead up to this very recipe. This is a dark, hoppy, boozy rye beer. Not for the faint of heart. It features de-bittered black malt, rye malt, chocolate rye, Columbus, Falconer's Flight, and Chinook hops. O.G. = 1.074. Approximately 6.6% ABV.

As I scroll down to the yeast section I notice that there is an option for a second yeast pack.

Yeast Double Pitching Option:
We recommend double pitching (doubling the amount of yeast) for beers with a starting gravity over 1.060. The increase in cell count will help the beer finish at final gravity and make stuck fermentations less likely. It will also decrease the lag time between pitching and the start of fermentation, and eliminate the need for a starter, both reducing contamination chances. This option allows you to add another yeast for double pitching.

My question is, can I pitch the Wyeast London ESB 1968 and the Safeale S-04? Will two different strands of yeast kill off each other or could they live in harmony eating, reproducing, and fermenting.

Tried a quick search but I know this must have been asked at one point. Thanks :mug:

no empirical experience here but i really like the idea for the recipe, i'm a fan of rye in beer. as for different yeasts, i would suggest taking your batch and peeling off a gallon and pitch both and pitch just the 68 in the bulk of it and see how it works out (and report back)

and where do you get chocolate rye? i'm thinking a high BU porter with rye in it would be fab...

Given the fact that the target ABV and Gravity aren't super high, I'm fairly certain you'll be fine just pitching the Wyeast London ESB 1968. This yeast has a tolerance level of 9% and works for beers high in ABV, including Barleywine's. Make a decent sized starter and you should be fine...

There is a lot more yeast in that dry packet than in the liquid packet. I would expect the Safale to take over leaving you with no noticable characteristics of the 1968. I would just go with one. If you go with the liquid, you would benefit from a starter. Sure, you can go mad scientist with the starter but you could also keep it really simple.

They want you to buy 2x the amount of yeast. As mentioned a starter would be ideal. Use MrMalty.com to figure out what you need for that. Or just go with the S04, one packet is more than enough for that beer.

Back