Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitching ale yeast at low temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
cardinalsfan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
Get a temp strip and slap it on your carboy. Or a temp probe and measure the difference between reality in the fermenter and what your controller reads.

For reference, my controller is +2* over the real fermentation temp - have temp strips on every carboy.
this!! learn what the temp setting really equates to as far as beer temp. Mine is also about 2-3* off (I set it to 68 if I want the beer at 65*)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Maddyriver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Got them on there. Between the controller, with the probe insulated on the outside of the carboy, and the strip they're very close within a degree or so.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Maddyriver
Recipes 

However, I do have a question on hooking up the Brewers Edge heating pad to the controllerII. Do you just plug it into controller and hang the probe in the fridge? Like I've done. Or do I need to change the jumpers in controller since I'm heating? Even though I'm only setting the controller temp to 70F and below.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
mbauer013
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Way too soon for a heating pad IMO. 12 hours is not a long period of time to show "signs of fermentation" If you are talking about a jiggling airlock especially. What yeast are you using? Some yeasts love 62, some (like belgian strains and wheat strains) won't have much activity at all. Maybe it is fermenting, but just hasn't hit critical mass of gas saturation to start bubbling yet.

My british ales all ferment at 60 - 62.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
Maddyriver
Recipes 

Cali yeast straight from vile. I've brewed quite a few all grain batches with this strain, and have always had fermentation begin within 12 hrs. My concern is that this time I pitched at a slightly lower temp, 60F, than I normally do, usually pitch at 62-64F. However, as I type this there is slight action in the blow off growler. I was under the impression that a long lag time is not a good thing. Secondly, I'm concerned that starting fermentation at around 62F that even with fermentation heat up I still might not hit the low end of optimal ferment temp for this strain, 68F. Not to mention letting it get slightly over 70F to clean up. So hence the warming of the ferment chamber.

Quick Reply