Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitch temp--why go so low?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I tend to pitch lagers at the warm end and let it cool slowly. If I pitch on a cake, I always hit the low end.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The long and short of it is the yeast are the workhorses of beer. Everything you do is to create a happy environment and (flavorful )food for them to consume. The happier you make them the happier they will make you.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I tend to pitch lagers at the warm end and let it cool slowly. If I pitch on a cake, I always hit the low end.
I don't do lagers so I cannot talk about that, but I hear that they take off slowly.

I do brew a lot of Belgians and that is a recipe for disaster. I did a brew and pitched it toward the high end of the temp range. The yeast took off and stayed hot for a long time before my fermentation chamber could cool it down. Total Fusel bomb. Also Belgian yeasts do not like to be cooled down after they start or you risk a stuck fermentation.

I guess it gets down to understanding the yeast you use and how it work best for you.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
The reason it is advisable to pitch at or, preferably below is all about creating a controlled growth phase of the yeast. The growing of yeast is all about yeast health which is why pitch rate and pitch temp and aeration are so important.
As a pro brewer friend of mine has said - his job isn't about grain, water and hops - it's about yeast ranching.

A majority of the things we do while brewing are about creating conditions that the yeast like. Yeast doesn't like temperature fluctuations or light. Pitching yeast into ferm temp wort is the best option. If you have temp control on your fermentation theoretically after pitching the yeast should be in a constant temperature - which make them happy.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
buckley28
Recipes 

Seems like everyone is saying the same thing here for the most part. And I would concur as well. I did 4 brews this past weekend and was only able to cool the wort down from the boiling tempt o about 78/80 degrees. My starters were conditioned in ferm chamber the morning of at 68 degrees. I pitched at the 78/80 degree temp w/ the 68 degree starters and saw yeast activity in 4-6 hours and the following day (yesterday) saw crazy blowoff happening where as I had to take out the airlock and replace w/ blow off tubes for two of the brews. The other two got close to blow off but managed ot stay within the carboy.
So to be honest this thread has shed some interesting light on on the process of how yeast works in the proof that I've seen with my 4 batches the past three days.

Quick Reply