New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > To pitch or not to pitch...mold is my question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
mgohring
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begin2Brew
Honestly I have done a lot of starters and none of them looked like that. Every starter I have done has had a clear top. How long has this been sitting? I'd hate to see a batch ruined by a bad starter.
I've done quite a few starters as well and haven't seen one like that previously, hence the post with pics. I made the starter Tuesday night and took those pics this morning. Hasn't been sitting too long. Haven't been home yet to check it tonight. Hoping it's not any worse than this morning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #12
mgohring
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

So here is an image of where we're at tonight, roughly 14 hours after my shots this morning. What concerns me is the powdery bubbles and the powdery film on the surface. Still undecided at this point.

What should I be smelling for if it's infected? Smells like boring DME with some Belgian yeast, for the most part. Might be a tinge of paint thinner there. Perhaps I'm just thinking there is. Would it be overly noticeable if there was an infection?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #13
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pitch it... Into some wort. Doesn't look like anything to worry about to me. What strain is it? Looks like a true top cropper like a wit strain or similar. They tend to have bubble and some film I the surface like that for weeks sometimes.

Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #14
Bensiff
Mind Your Business

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Probably yeast rafts. It looks a little funny but that would be extremely fast for a pelicle to form. And it is 3711 which I always think must be a bug as it ferments like nothing else.

VOTE, n. The instrument and symbol of a freeman’s power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #15
mgohring
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It's 3711 French Saison. I'm not super familiar with yeast. I used it once over a year and a half ago with great results. Didn't make a starter on that batch.

I plan on using it tomorrow and will update once it gets into full fermentation. Fingers crossed that I end up with a tasty rye Saison and not paint thinner!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
mgohring
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thought it might be good to respond to this thread as the beer has been done and drinkable for quite some time now. I'm pleased to report that this starter fermented just fine without creating any off-flavors, mold, etc. Apparently, it's just an ugly yeast to look at, although I've seen a lot worse.

The beer turned out fantastic! I ended up bottling this in champaign bottles and plan to hang on to some for as long as I can stand it.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
glugglug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Making me thirsty! Looks delicious!

Quick Reply