New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Pitch more yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
trekie86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitch more yeast?

I started my first batch last week, 9/28, and got the beer into the fermenting bucket and put on the sterilized lid and the bubbler. I'd say less than 12 hours later, I was bubbling like crazy. I'd say it only did that for 36 to 48 hours and then doesn't seem to have bubbled since.

Do I need to pitch more yeast or give it a swirl to re-suspend the yeast?

My recipe was the True Brew Amber kit.

3.3 lbs Muntons LME Hopped Amber
2 lbs Muntons DME Light
1 oz Cascade Hop Pellets AA: 7.3%
1 packet (6 grams) Muntons Active Brewing Yeast

I re-hydrated the yeast at 38 degrees C and let it re-hydrate for about 30 minutes with a stir in the middle. I had a good froth on the yeast before pitching. I pitched the yeast into my Wort at 22 degrees C, gave it a quick stir with my sterilized spoon and put it in the basement to do its thing. The thermometer on the outside of the bucket has stayed about 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.

Just another piece of info, not sure if its necessary but the O.G. was 1.043

I'd appreciate any advice for this newbie. If I need to pitch more yeast I'll stop at the brew shop on my way home from work tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You should be fine...let it sit another 2-3 days then take a gravity sample to see where its at. Your brew is not a big one so 2-3 days of ferment is pretty common.

Fermenter #1: 3 Floyds Gumballhead Clone
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled:Black IPA, 3 Floyds Alpha King Clone
Up Next:Kern River Citra IIPA

Old 10-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
trekie86
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestBrewer View Post
You should be fine...let it sit another 2-3 days then take a gravity sample to see where its at. Your brew is not a big one so 2-3 days of ferment is pretty common.
Thanks for the response. I sure hope that is the case. I did pull the bubbler just to give it a sniff and it smelled like beer, so that's a good sign. I only plan on doing a primary fermentation but was planning on letting this brew sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks, so a little more than a week still to go. In my reading, it seems that this will help further condition the beer, before it gets in the bottle, and let the "stuff" settle to clarify the beer. Do you think that will be a problem?

Again, thanks for the response.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie86 View Post
Thanks for the response. I sure hope that is the case. I did pull the bubbler just to give it a sniff and it smelled like beer, so that's a good sign. I only plan on doing a primary fermentation but was planning on letting this brew sit in the fermenter for 2 weeks, so a little more than a week still to go. In my reading, it seems that this will help further condition the beer, before it gets in the bottle, and let the "stuff" settle to clarify the beer. Do you think that will be a problem?

Again, thanks for the response.
That is a good plan...most people will even leave it in primary for 3 weeks then bottle. The only way to tell is to take reading 2-3 days apart and if they are the same it is good to go.

Fermenter #1: 3 Floyds Gumballhead Clone
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled:Black IPA, 3 Floyds Alpha King Clone
Up Next:Kern River Citra IIPA

Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 498

It's not unusual to have a lower gravity brew finish with visibly active fermentation within the first few days (depending on yeast, temp, etc.)

Do not pitch more yeast (unless you desire yeasty beer). Give it another week, take a hydro reading and see where you're at on this. It will probably be finished.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
trekie86
Recipes 

So its been just shy of two weeks and I took a gravity reading. The beer smells like beer, looks like beer, and tastes like fairly good flat beer. However, the specific gravity was 1.020. The kit estimated that the FG should be around 1.010. So my ABV is only 3.02% That seems really low.

My initial assessment is that my yeast stalled out and didn't ferment completely. I'm going to bottle tomorrow because I haven't seen a bubble in over a week. So to learn from my mistakes and not screw up again, did I have too little yeast? Temperature issues? Something else? It's a bummer I have at least two weeks before I can try my beer, so I hope it turns out well.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

the yeast packet, at 6 grams, is a pretty small one. But you did rehydrate it, so that is good
Other producers give you 11 grams or so. I have never used Munton's because it has (i heard) a bad rap. I am sure some people like it just fine.

Next time choose yeast made by Safale Fermentis, Danstar or another, more expensive, dry yeast. US 05 is a good clean ale strain. there are about 3 to 5 other manufacturers. good luck.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
the yeast packet, at 6 grams, is a pretty small one. But you did rehydrate it, so that is good
Other producers give you 11 grams or so. I have never used Munton's because it has (i heard) a bad rap. I am sure some people like it just fine.

Next time choose yeast made by Safale Fermentis, Danstar or another, more expensive, dry yeast. US 05 is a good clean ale strain. there are about 3 to 5 other manufacturers. good luck.
This ^^^^^^^^^.

Also, you're certainly not the first extract brewer to have a batch stop at 1.020 and refuse to go lower. If it's the same gravity in a few days, bottle, wait three weeks and fridge for three days or more before sampling. Don't worry about the ABV so long as it tastes good.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
...Also, you're certainly not the first extract brewer to have a batch stop at 1.020 and refuse to go lower....
Coming from 1.043, that beer will be quite sweet though. I would let it sit in a warmish place, 70-75°F for a day, give it a good stir and see if it resumes. If it's still at 1.020 after another week, then bottle.

I've had quite a few extracts stop at 1.020-1.022 but they were all coming from 1.064-1.072 OG, which is relatively more sensible. Even after 4 weeks conditioning they stayed put. Yeah, they were a bit sweet, but the balance was very acceptable there.

Something about extract, next time you brew. Only add about 1/3 at the beginning of the boil and the balance, 2/3 at flameout. It makes better beer. And make sure the LME is well dissolved and doesn't stick to the bottom.

+1 on the 11g yeast pouches. US-05 is marvelous.
Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Great Lakes Christmas Ale | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 10-14-2013, 02:30 AM   #10
trekie86
Recipes 

Default Thanks!!!

Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up bottling this weekend anyway, when I measured again on Saturday morning there was no change so I'm assuming its done. When I took my sample for the hydrometer reading, it smelled good, looked good, and tasted good, all be it flat. I'm hoping it wasn't a total bust.

It wasn't until doing some more reading that the 6 gram bag seemed small. Everything I've read thus far has been about 11 grams. My next batch I think I'll use a Wyeast "Slap" Pack or a White Labs liquid, I've heard good things about both of them.

Thanks again for all of the responses and I'll let you know how it tastes in 2-3 weeks.

Quick Reply